Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't restart pc in normal mode from safe mode!  (Read 4930 times)

jason72

Can't restart pc in normal mode from safe mode!
« on: March 02, 2007, 04:53:19 PM »
Can anyone help? I was trying to remove Trojans with spy ware doctor in safe mode as I couldn't get my anti-virus to open in safe mode, thought I would try other safe mode options to see if anti-virus would open and run (using f-secure) booted up in safe mode (command prompt) and now I have problems. My laptop keeps rebooting back to safe mode (command prompt). I've tried rebooting on F8 and selecting normal mode, but starts back in safe mode (command prompt)! What do I need to do? operating system is XP SP2
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:08:33 PM by jason72 »

Saviour

Re: Can't restart pc in normal mode from safe mode
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 05:41:46 PM »
When it boots into Safe Mode...

Try clicking Start/Run and then type msconfig in the box and click OK.

Make sure Normal Startup is selected and click Apply then OK.

jason72

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 05:59:07 PM »
I'm in safe mode (command prompt) so i don't have start tab available, just command (cmd.exe)

Saviour

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 06:03:33 PM »
Type exit at the C:\> prompt to exit the Command Prompt in Safe Mode.

Can you do that?  If so...once you exit, reboot your PC back into Safe Mode (no command prompt)and try again.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 06:04:31 PM by Saviour »

jason72

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 06:27:27 PM »
no change, exited cmd.exe. reboot in safe mode (standard) screen fills up with intoduction of drivers then on to log on admin page, once you click on that it's then back to safe mode (command propmt) :-? :-?

Saviour

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 06:53:29 PM »
When you started Safe Mode in Command prompt, were you successful in running Spyware Doctor?

Of course you'd have to locate the Spyware doctor executable in order to run it.

Saviour

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 07:05:49 PM »
Following up...

Regardless of what version of Safe Mode you use...once the computer reboots...it should do so normally.

The fact that yours does not means you may have other Windows issues.

You may want to check out the following link:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#RI

It is very immportant you read this page carefully if you choose to repair your installation of XP SP2.

jason72

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 12:51:52 AM »
Firstly, I Knew I had 4 viruses (Trojan java class loader) and that my anti virus was detecting but not repairing or deleting, so I tried to run (f-secure) in safe mode to fix virus, but program would not open so I tried to run spyware doctor which detected  4  viruses and deleted them. at this point I’m still in safe mode (normal) then I tried other safe mode options from system configuration to open f-secure tried safe mode (command prompt) which after booting I realised it's a command program and wouldn't Know how to use it so I rebooted and using f8 option chose normal start up option, which is when I started having reboot problem.  

Saviour

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 07:35:53 AM »
ajay,

Try restoring your computer to an earlier date by running Restore from the command prompt.  You're saying it boots in Safe Mode with Command Prompt...

1)  Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

2)  Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

After the system restore is performed. Make sure you reboot the computer.

See if this will stop the computer from booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt.  If it does...then do the following to check your system for malware:

1)  If the computer boots normally after performing the above...then the first thing we want to do is turn off System Restore.  You can do this by going into your Control Panel, open System Properties, select the System Restore tab, and then check the box to turn off System Restore.  Click Apply and/or OK.

2)  Once you have turned off System Restore, reboot your computer into Safe Mode only.

3)  Run Spyware Doctor and fSecure to remove unwanted malware.

4)  Reboot into Windows, normally, and turn System Restore back on.

Post your results here.

jason72

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 12:05:46 PM »
thanks guys, worked it out. from command prompt i typed \dir then typed in \explorer which opened windows which let me get into system config and remove command prompt option on safe mode.

I'm putting up another problem in software section, for some advice on.

thanks again  

Saviour

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 02:56:59 PM »
Glad to hear you worked it out...