Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Small old harddrive, new big harddrive  (Read 2290 times)

queenbunnywitch

Topic Starter

Beginner

Small old harddrive, new big harddrive
    « on: March 02, 2007, 10:27:02 PM »
    My old harddrive is only 20 GB and my new harddrive is 235GB.

My old HDD is maxed out and i want to transfer EVERYTHING to my 235GB HDD. Basically making it the primary drive. The old HDD is my C drive and the new one is my E drive.

How would I do this safely?
    « Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 10:27:17 PM by queenbunnywitch »

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Small old harddrive, new big harddrive
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 10:37:22 PM »
    If you mean you want to transfer everything (Windows, programs, data files, etc.) to the new hard drive, take a look at the software tools and instructions from the hard drive manufacturer for doing that.

queenbunnywitch

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 10:49:47 PM »
      i checked through the manual that came with it but it just has a bunch of stuff about how to install it. nothing about transfering the information over. it just tells me to use the Data Lifeguard Tool. I had a friend install it for me so i dont know if he did the things it says to do.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 05:45:11 AM »
      Finding the correct info and tools and using them is the place to start. If your friend doesn't know, then you need to call another geeky friend.  ;)

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 08:43:33 AM »
      ... Data Lifeguard Tool. I had a friend install it for me so i dont know if he did the things it says to do.
      It will do a lot of things.  That doesn't mean all of those things are intended to be always done in each installation.  They are not.  Like most software, more features than needed in many cases are built into the software; it's up to the user to decide which features he needs/wants to use.

If you have an EIDE drive, this PDF explains how to use Data Lifeguard Tools for the installation of a hard drive.  The part about Drive-to-Drive Copy Utility (page 23) is what you need here.  

How did your friend set up your computer when he installed the drive?  Did he do a fresh installation of Windows or what?
      « Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 08:44:09 AM by soybean »

queenbunnywitch

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 05:37:15 PM »
        He installed it but just used the install disk it came with. Someone made my computer for me so i think my windows is pirated :-[.

queenbunnywitch

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 05:40:46 PM »
          yay! that was what i was looking for, thanks ill try it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 08:15:17 PM »
          He installed it but just used the install disk it came with. Someone made my computer for me so i think my windows is pirated :-[.

Go to Windows update and you can find out.  ;)

queenbunnywitch

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 04:59:55 PM »
            yeah, its not genuine after all. ill be getting a new computer some day so thats okay for now.

i copied everything but now im just scared to transfer it because i have to delete everything off my c: drive. everything is defaulted to read stuff from the c drive so is it okay to do that?