Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dvd-rw and dvd drives won`t play dvds!  (Read 1927 times)

pvbirdlady

dvd-rw and dvd drives won`t play dvds!
« on: March 05, 2007, 01:46:31 PM »
I formatted and reinstalled winxp pro (I`ve done this before without problems) and now both dvd drives will work with cds, but not play dvds. I have uninstalled and reinstalled powerdvd and updated the firmware for the lite on drive (which is the dvd-rw). The dvd files aren`t recognized in the dvd-rw drive at all,nor will it play in wmp.  I have tried a few dvds that have worked in the past,but the drives say "no disk in drive". It seems strange that both drives work fine except for playing dvds,and I haven`t messed with the region code,either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :-?

GX1_Man

Re: dvd-rw and dvd drives won`t play dvds!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 07:58:58 PM »
So did everything work fine before updating the firmware, and never worked correctly afterward? Is that the only variable?

pvbirdlady

Re: dvd-rw and dvd drives won`t play dvds!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 11:55:57 PM »
The message "no disk in drive" came up on both drives after the install of windows- before the firmware update.
   Just before the reinstall-the psu went out and I installed a new one. Is it possible that the dust this disturbed in the whole case caused both drives to start failing? even though cds work fine? Yes, I did try to clean the dust out before working on it , but there was a bunch I couldn`t see inside both fans. turning the pc around and upside down made this dust go everywhere;I did blow and paint brush it out,but not inside the optical drives. They both show up as dvd devices in the device manager and the dma for IDE is fine (ultra dma mode 2 and 4). The only thing  I can think of to do is try another drive,but I don`t have one and can`t afford it now!