Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adding default email client to IE 6.0  (Read 4207 times)

skylane42

Adding default email client to IE 6.0
« on: March 07, 2007, 08:57:27 AM »
OK,  you go to tools-internet options-programs and a list of default programs come up for email, groups etc.  The program I want to use when I click on mail in the IE toolbar is not an option.  Is there a way to add the program as a option?  I want to use Outlook Express but that program does not appear.  The only one that does is Hotmail and I have a charter email account I want to use.  I am running WinXP Home.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:59:15 AM by skylane42 »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Adding default email client to IE 6.0
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 09:39:37 AM »
Do you have Outlook Express installed?  Is it on your Programs menu and/or on your desktop as an icon?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 09:40:35 AM by soybean »

skylane42

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 10:17:09 AM »
Yes,  Outlook Express is on my menu and desktop shortcut.  I use it everyday.  

Saviour

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 07:41:41 PM »
Outlook Express is installed with your browser.

If OE is not showing up as a mail account option in Tools/Internet Otions/Programs/Email, and you use OE everyday, then there's a problem with IE.  You can either choose to repair your version of Internet Explorer through Control Panel/Add Remove Programs/Windows Components...or reinstall it...or download and install IE7...if your operating system will support it.

We are not privvy to any of your system info, other than the fact you use IE6.

Some additional info would be helpful like:

1)  Was the option to use OE available in IE6 before?
2)  What's your OS (operating system)?
3)  Have you made any recent software changes?

Will wait for a reply...

soybean

Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 08:10:41 PM »
Yes, OE is installed with IE, but it can be "uninstalled", only meaning it can be made to appear to be uninstalled by being invisible.  In Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, OE is one of the programs that can be uninstalled or installed.  Again, the underlying files are not actually removed.  

That's what I meant when I asked him if he had it installed.  Indeed, I think uninstalling OE via Add/Remove Windows Components and reinstalling it might possibly fix this. I'd give it a shot.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 08:14:26 PM by soybean »

skylane42

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 08:45:03 AM »
I got the compaq 2.4 mhz with the HD reformatted .. nothing on it.  The restore part of the HD was also blank.  I went to compaq to order the restore disk required for the Presario 6000 and they refered me to a vendor.  I got the disk and installed the "recovery" software.  All the original programs listed as original with the computer were not installed.  I am running Win XP Home, service pack 2 update.  

When I go to add/remove programs .. Internet Explorer and Outlook Express are not listed.  I can not reinstall IE 6.0 because I get a message that a newer version is currently installed.  If I go to add/remove componets it list IE with a check but no MB on the right. did download and install IE 7.0 at one time but did not like it.  

Saviour

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 09:33:29 AM »
skylane42...

Go to the following page and try the repairs suggested...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/oerepair.mspx

Then post your results...

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 11:41:52 AM »
If I go to add/remove componets it list IE with a check but no MB on the right. did download and install IE 7.0 at one time but did not like it.  
OE is also listed there.  And, both IE and OE will show 0MB.  The reason is, as I explained, that the program files are not actually removed, just links to the programs.  

Saviour

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 11:56:25 AM »
In addition to my previous post, which I'm hoping you have read the entire page...

Here's another to look at...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378

Hopefully, following soybean's suggestions will work...but these links are here, jkust in case.

You have to lets us know what you have tried and if you are having any results.

You have also stated you had IE7 at one time, so I'm assuming you uninstalled it.  You are now using IE6...correct?  And you also have SP2 installed...correct?

Then it's my guess, IE is corrupt and needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled...thus the links.

skylane42

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 03:14:50 PM »
Well, I did as the MS pages said.  I have Outlook Express listed on the list in Programs in internet options.  I can open OE via IE6.0 but still can not click and send a link or page.  I also tried the repair method for IE 6.0 by going to the registry and modifing it.. I still can`t see in in add/remove programs.  So I still can not remove it to reinstall..

Thanks for your help guys..  I think I will let it rest for awhile and then go back to go and start over again.

Saviour

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 04:22:51 PM »
At least OE now shows up as an option in Internet Options now.

Keep us posted when and if you get back to it...