Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD/DVD Combo drive problem  (Read 2343 times)

Shimada_Kanbei

CD/DVD Combo drive problem
« on: March 12, 2007, 12:41:22 PM »
My LG GSA 4176B is on a erratic operation, lately it produces burns that has some read errors. I used the NERO tool and it did find some bad areas, although the burning was successful but when trying to read disc the drive can't. I tested it with different types and kinds of CD/DVD disc ditto with other software burners like Alcohol but same results. Also when doing the burn as always nothing is in the background not even the antivirus to prevent intrusions. Any ideas how to check if the drive is or not the culprit. Thanks :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: CD/DVD Combo drive problem
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 01:17:20 PM »
Are you sure you are finalising these burns ? ?
If not the CD/DVD will be unreadable unless you use something like ISOBuster.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 09:36:27 PM »
    Sounds like the drive is going bad.  Do you have another you can put in to test?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Shimada_Kanbei

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 03:32:19 AM »
    To sir patio, when burning it is usually automatic so it has the right lead in and lead out and it is in the automated process and the final word or it says is always: Burn successfully at (ex. 4x628kb/sec) save the job?. Like that so on my part I will think that the burn is good but after testing will I find it with some bad areas.

To sir ale52, I don't have any CD/DVD drives to test but maybe I'll try with my sister's PC to install the drive. But if this is your findings, my drive is only 2yrs. old I bought that on 2005. Well i did burn and sometimes erase disc but this does happen only when necessary, is this a way to shorten the life of a rewriter? Should I instead burn only? Thanks :)

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    « Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 04:05:16 AM »
    Sometimes only 2 years is how long a burner lasts.

On rare occasions this can be caused by a bad ide
    ribbon cable but..............
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Shimada_Kanbei

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 07:51:06 AM »
    Ok I'll try the ribbon cables first and I hope it works coz I'm on tight budget for Vista. Thank you sir street1 I'll try changing or checking it this weekend after school. :) ;) :D ;D :o 8-) :-? ::) :P

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    « Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 04:14:05 PM »
    You are welcome your majesty Albatross2007. ;D
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.