Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video dies.. then Audio  (Read 1924 times)

Chris_Ash

Video dies.. then Audio
« on: March 12, 2007, 12:54:43 PM »
Today my CNPS7000 CPU cooler arrived. I removed the stock heatsink and installed it.

I turn my PC back on after being turned off for about 5 minutes.. and my monitor tells me that there is no signal coming from my PC. Luckily I have an onboard intergrated gpu, so i switched to that and to my surprise everything ran fine.

But after I installed the drivers for the onboard gpu, my Audio stopped working. In the "Sounds and Audio devices properties", in the control panel it now reads "no audio device". I re-installed the drivers and the problem persists. I try to install the program and i get an error "driver not found! reboot ur system". The reboot obviously does nothing.

So now ive lost my graphics card and my audio and all i did was take my cpu out of its socket and then put it back in..

The only theory that i have is that well.. i heard that if u touch a computer component without having an "anti-static" strap, u can ruin the device only by touching it.
Well, i did not have the so called strap, but i touched the cpu about 50 times while installing it, and it runs fine. im not even sure that i touched the graphics card..

So, im completely stomped.

PC specs:
Asus P4S800-MX
Geforece FX 5200
SiS 661FX (onboard VGA)
SoundMAX (onboard Audio)
1024 MB DDR-400 (detected as 512MB the first boot)
Pentium 4 prescott 3.0Ghz 478

P.S. This wasnt the first PC i worked on today. I completely dismantalled another PC and put it back together and it runs fine now. So this is even more eratating.

Thnx!

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Video dies.. then Audio
    « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 09:35:05 PM »
    "all i did was take my cpu out of its socket and then put it back in.. "  Why did you remove the CPU if all you were replacing was the cooling fan?  Did you reseat the CPU properly?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Chris_Ash

Re: Video dies.. then Audio
    « Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 03:13:34 AM »
    "all i did was take my cpu out of its socket and then put it back in.. "  Why did you remove the CPU if all you were replacing was the cooling fan?  Did you reseat the CPU properly?

Alan <><  :D

Yes, of course. I took it out to clean the thermal grease, obviously.

But its not the problem, because it works, as ive stated..