Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Low Format of Hard Drive  (Read 3652 times)

fmv1944

Low Format of Hard Drive
« on: March 20, 2007, 12:03:32 PM »
Hello -

I need to do a low format of my laptop (Toshiba) hard drive.  I bought a utility to help me accomplish this.  Assuming I am successful, do I then insert my recovery disk and let it do its work OR do I need to do something else first (FDSK)?  

This is a laptop I would like to save BUT may have to replace if this doesn't work.  The serviceman said this needed to be done due to not being able to shut down normally and not being able to complete loading programs.  I don't want to put anymore money into it and would like to learn how to do this.

Appreciate info - thank you!

Frieda    ;D

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Low Format of Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 12:32:45 PM »
Do you have a Windows CD?  What version of Windows?

fmv1944

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 12:51:48 PM »
Thank you for your response.

I have a Toshiba recovery disk that has Win XP Home Edition.

However, I also have a WIN XP Professional that I have never used that I can use.

Frieda  ::)

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 01:28:36 PM »
Well, you could use either of those.  Keep in mind the Toshiba recovery disk probably has all device drivers needed for your computer, while the Win XP Pro CD will not have them and you would probably need to obtain some drivers.  However, I believe, if you went with Win XP Pro, you may be able to use the Toshiba recovery disk as a source of drivers.  If not, you'd need to go out to Toshiba's website and download them.

Unless you have specific reasons to go with Win XP Pro, using the Toshiba recovery disk is likely to be the easier route.  But, with either, you'll need to format the hard drive and you'll need to decide whether to use the FAT32 format or the NTFS format.  Since we're talking about Win XP here and not an older version of Windows, I suggest you choose NTFS unless you have some specific reason for using FAT32.

Just put the CD in the CD drive and start the computer.  If it does not boot from the CD, you may need to access your BIOS and change the default first boot device from hard drive to CD drive.  Once you get it to boot from the CD, follow the prompts on screen.

I hope this works out OK for you.  I'm a little skeptical about what the serviceman told you about the low level formatting being necessary.  But, you might as well proceed with it; it won't hurt anything to do it.

fmv1944

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 03:03:46 PM »
I forgot to mention that I had reformatted the drive 4-5 times using the Toshiba recovery disk, with the same problems recurring after the formats.  That is probably why he recommended the low format.

I am a novice at this so I may need to check back for help when I begin.

I so appreciate the info you gave!  Thank you!!

Frieda  ;D

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 04:25:57 PM »
    Why do you want to format the laptop for? If you want remove your personal information from it, the formats should have removed that. If the laptop doesn't work now I doubt a low format would make any difference.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 04:54:42 PM »
    I forgot to mention that I had reformatted the drive 4-5 times using the Toshiba recovery disk, with the same problems recurring after the formats.  That is probably why he recommended the low format.

Sounds like he is thinking this might give some extended life to that HDD.

Make sure to look into the cost of a replacement HDD for that laptop before you give up altogether.

Even though you said you don't want to toss a bunch of money at it a reasonably priced new HDD would work fine if the machine is of use to you.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fmv1944

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 08:12:54 PM »
    Personal info is off of it - just wanted to get it going.  If this doesn't work, then I am going to replace it.

Thanks for all suggestions!

Frieda :D

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 08:29:14 PM »
    And, if you replace the hard drive and you find that the computer has something else wrong with it and you end up getting another computer, you could get an external enclosure for that hard drive and then you'll have an external hard drive, a good thing to have for backup purposes.
    « Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 08:29:44 PM by soybean »

fmv1944

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 11:08:21 PM »
    Thanks so much for your help and suggestions!  

Frieda  :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 12:03:27 AM »
    You're more than Welcome. Stop by anytime...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Saviour

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 06:39:26 AM »
    Why do you want to format the laptop for? If you want remove your personal information from it, the formats should have removed that. If the laptop doesn't work now I doubt a low format would make any difference.

This is somewhat true, however, a regular format does not necessarily remove all hard disk drive files, while a low-level format is more thorough.  In either case, depending on who is doing it and how they are doing it...data recovery may still be possible...to an extent.

Low-Level Formatting

"Low-level formatting is the process of outlining the positions of the tracks and sectors on the hard disk, and writing the control structures that define where the tracks and sectors are. This is often called a "true" formatting operation, because it really creates the physical format that defines where the data is stored on the disk. The first time that a low-level format ("LLF") is performed on a hard disk, the disk's platters start out empty. That's the last time the platters will be empty for the life of the drive. [highlight]If an LLF is done on a disk with data on it already, the data is permanently erased (save heroic data recovery measures which are sometimes possible).[/highlight]

If you've explored other areas of this material describing hard disks, you have learned that modern hard disks are much more precisely designed and built, and much more complicated than older disks. Older disks had the same number of sectors per track, and did not use dedicated controllers. It was necessary for the external controller to do the low-level format, and quite easy to describe the geometry of the drive to the controller so it could do the LLF. Newer disks use many complex internal structures, including zoned bit recording to put more sectors on the outer tracks than the inner ones, and embedded servo data to control the head actuator. They also transparently map out bad sectors. [highlight]Due to this complexity, all modern hard disks are low-level formatted at the factory for the life of the drive. There's no way for the PC to do an LLF on a modern IDE/ATA or SCSI hard disk, and there's no reason to try to do so.[/highlight]

[highlight]Not strictly true, you CAN perform a Low Level Format, so long as you use the tools (software) designed specifically for your drive."[/highlight]

High-Level Formatting (Regular)

"After low-level formatting is complete, we have a disk with tracks and sectors--but nothing written on them. High-level formatting is the process of writing the file system structures on the disk that let the disk be used for storing programs and data. If you are using DOS, for example, the DOS FORMAT command performs this work, writing such structures as the master boot record and file allocation tables to the disk. High-level formatting is done after the hard disk has been partitioned, even if only one partition is to be used.

[highlight]The distinction between high-level formatting and low-level formatting is important. It is not necessary to low-level format a disk to erase it: a high-level format will suffice for most purposes; by wiping out the control structures and writing new ones, the old information is lost and the disk appears as new. (Much of the old data is still on the disk, but the access paths to it have been wiped out.) Under some circumstances a high-level format won't fix problems with the hard disk and a zero-fill utility may be necessary.[/highlight]

Different operating systems use different high-level format programs, because they use different file systems. However, the low-level format, which is the real place where tracks and sectors are recorded, is the same."
    « Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 06:41:32 AM by Saviour »