Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Folder Contents Gone!!!  (Read 2138 times)

AmP31

Folder Contents Gone!!!
« on: March 20, 2007, 11:02:17 PM »
I was sorting through some pictures and organizing them into folders about an hour ago then all of a sudden the folder just goes blank after I recieved some kind of error for one of the pictures. When i type the names of the sub folders which were inside of the folder that dissapeared into the address bar, the pictures and the folders citing there location still in the same spot appear with no problem, but when i try to search the system nothing shows up. The memory is just as much as it was before the incident, so i know for a fact the files are not gone, but when i look at details for the folder it says 0 for everything.

Another thing is if i attempt to create a new folder in the empty one, when i hit refresh or leave and come back the new folder (which appears as New Folder (2) even though there isnt a 1) is gone.

Can anyone tell how i would go about fixing this problem?

Nancy_O

Re: Folder Contents Gone!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 02:52:35 PM »
When you were organizing things around did you move those files somewhere else making this folder (blank) empty?  Did you check garbage can to make sure you didnt delete the files?  Also go into start / documents/ and see if any of those files are in there and if so place your mouse over until you see the location of the file.

AmP31

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 08:18:43 PM »
When i was organizing them, i was moving them into created folders within the original file, i still had about 100 more pictures to do... I was pretty much just in filmstrip and dragging and dropping. All of the locations of the files though are the exact same, its just that i cant access it without typing it into the browser.

If you dont understand say the folder thats contents dissapeared is called:
C:\Documents and Settings\admin\My Documents\My Documents\Vacation

When i am at this location their is nothing at all in the folder, but when i enter this:
C:\Documents and Settings\admin\My Documents\My Documents\Vacation\Beach

It will show me the pictures which i had dragged in this folder. I just cant get to them without typing it into the browser. This meaning all of the pictures which i had not sorted are gone, but still taking up space.

AmP31

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 09:21:47 PM »
Bump (No one is familiar with this problem?)

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 03:17:05 AM »
    No, I am not familiar with your problem. In other folders it makes the same thing? Can you see other pictures?

You may try to copy the pictures folder content using a command prompt command (see xcopy /? or copy /? in the command prompt) and then try again.
    Also, you may try to change the way that files appear: as thumbnails, as simple list of filenames etc. Did you try another image viewer? Can you see the pictures using xnview for example? Or any other image viewer? Can you browse to them?
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 03:19:40 AM by viking »

AmP31

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 09:43:36 PM »
    No this problem is just in one folder, and it appears as if it is an empty folder (changing the view type will not work). Thanks though i will try the prompt command.