Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Booting, Safe Mode in ME  (Read 2419 times)

auntijoan

Booting, Safe Mode in ME
« on: March 21, 2007, 03:12:39 PM »
Hello -

We have a Gateway Essential,that had 98SE installed. (Purchased '99 or '00)
After running ScanDisk over many hours, my husband cancelled and closed it. Since I had turned off everything that could be turned off, including the screensaver, I told him to turn it off then on, & they'd be back (except the screensaver)

It came back in Safe Mode - bad desktop picture and a frozen mouse. I've been searching the Net since Saturday for answers, and I think when you're in Safe Mode you're supposed to be able to DO something! No mouse, no toolbars, no "Start."

The problem has something to do with the Registry, which is the message I get.

To complicate things, about 2 years ago we had a major computer meltdown - and it was along the same lines, but with a broken C drive thrown in. The tech who repaired it did a good job, and "upgraded" us to ME, but I have no backups for it.

I have an Operating System Backup CD and a System Restoration CD (What is the difference bewteen them?) for 98SE. Can I use them, and what would the effect be, mixing Window editions?

I've tried downloading a boot disk on a diskette on my computer and it didn't work on his. I tried burning a CD of the same thing and neither did that work.

His machine will do nothing, just sit there and look big and bulky! GoBack says there's nothing to go back to, and I can get into the black screen area at the beginning but I wouldn't know what to change. That's where I got the Scanreg message.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Or is 7 years the useful life of a computer?

Many thanks!

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Booting, Safe Mode in ME
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 04:04:55 PM »
My computer is 8 years old and works fine.

Try the instructions on the below site.

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/scanreg.html

Use either of the below files to make a
bootdisk on a working computer with a
3.5 inch floppy drive.

WindowsMe

Windows98SE
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:13:11 PM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.