Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A device for making sure enough power is supplied?  (Read 2177 times)

andrewset

A device for making sure enough power is supplied?
« on: March 23, 2007, 04:01:51 PM »
Hello,

My computer's been automatically restarting  0-6 times a day for the past 4 months, and the company who covers the tech support under my warranty, who had it at their shop for a month without getting a single restart, suggested I try a different power source. I have it downstairs in my house right now, just to test that theory, and it hasn't restarted yet, but I need it upstairs anyway, in the end.

My question is: is there a device I can purchase that makes sure enough power is supplied to the computer at all times? Such as some kind of power backup or something which connects to the wall outlet, then I connect just the power cable for the computer into the device, and the device delivers constant power to the computer, through some kind of combination of outlet power and charged-up backup power? (if that makes sense)

Thanks,
Andrew

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: A device for making sure enough power is suppl
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 05:11:47 PM »
     andrewset....  To answer your question....... yes there is such a item ....it's called a UPS or Uninteruptable Power Supply. A good one is very expensive......
    I have a question for you ........ Have you ever metered the actual voltage being delivered to the recepticle your pc is plugged into upstairs........ The circuit you are on may have something on it which when it starts up draws a lot of current ..... resulting in a temporary voltage drop.... ( which causes your machine to see the low voltage and drop off ) ...... Check to see what else is on that circuit.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 07:16:24 PM »
    How old is the machine and what does it say on the Power Supply Unit ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 11:38:05 AM »
    What mainboard is installed...?