Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sasser  (Read 3328 times)

whatever

Sasser
« on: March 30, 2007, 06:23:45 AM »
From reading a bit on the web, I think I might have a sasser worm.
When I tried to login, it briefly mention a file spelt like lsas.exe or something before it powered off. This is the problem I am having with my computer, it keeps turning itself off and its killing me! I can't see ANYTHING working. I first tried to go into the recovery console using my reboot CD but the laptop turned off...then I tried to completely reinstall windows and it did begin deleting files ready to reinstall it but then the laptop turned off.
So what I am stuck with now is a laptop which constantly turns itself off and which has vital windows files missing due to an interrupted re-installation (When i tried to login again it said it couldnt find some other vital file, no surprise as it had just been deleted).  This all seems pretty hopeless eh?

edit-But now I am confused because maybe my computer was saying it couldn't find lsass.exe, the legitimate login file which makes sense considering I couldn't login. But why on earth would it keep powering off? Might this be a hardware problem?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 06:34:41 AM by whatever »

oddjob

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Sasser
    « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 06:48:09 AM »
    The file you mention is  lsass.exe and it could be resulting in the problem you describe. More information it here with some sugegsted help to fix it ....

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/deleted_lsassexe_from_system32_is_this_a_problem.html

Yes, overheating or other hardware may be causing/contributing to the problem. Make sure the computer's fans are clean and air is flowing easily.

Post back if this doesn't work for you. Describe any ongoing problems in each post you make. It will help us to help you.

OJ

whatever

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 06:54:49 AM »
    Thanks. But it is the hardware that is causing the computer to turn off constantly then? Or the missing file?
    The computer did get pretty hot last night I guess but it always does and it certainly isn't hot now that it keeps turning itself off. Darn, I wish I had a warranty.

oddjob

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 08:24:20 AM »
      You need that file on your system to logon properly. If it is absent or corrupted you need to reinstall/relapce the file.

The overheating may also be a problem so I suggest you try to keep the computer cool then see if you can log on successfully.

It may help if you boot up in safe mode only.

If you still get the lsass.exe error and shutdown, even in safe mode, then you need to delete the corrupted file and/or reinstall a new one. Possibly from your master disk.

As your machine switched off when you tried to reinstall Windows that may be an overheating problem.

Keep trying and let us know how you get on.

OJ

whatever

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
      Thanks a lot for your help oddjob! I took out one of the drawers from the freezer and placed the computer on it, that gave me enough time to log in (in safe mode) and do a system restore. I think the fan is working and will see if the login file is still missing next time i go on my laptop but everything seems fine. Thanks! I never realised that it would power down so easily, it didn't feel hot on the outside but obviously it was on the inside thanks!  :)

oddjob

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 03:37:36 PM »
        Glad things are looking better but please post back if there's no improvement.

Yes, it is vital to ensure air can move freely round the machine and remove the hot stuff.

Good luck. ;D

OJ