Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrade version XP, need to delete all traces of previous version?  (Read 2502 times)

tom47

My daughter's computer is not playing her games properly like it did when I first gave it to her.  The computer came with WinMe, I put upgrade version of XP Professional.  I am considering cleaning up some programs on the hard drive, just wondering if removing files from WinMe/98 would impact the operation of XP?  If so, is there a way to condense or compress them to save space, instead of just deleting them?

Thanks

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Upgrade version XP, need to delete all traces of previous version?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 01:05:30 PM »
Without more info on how that machine is setup it would be guesswork at best...
Are you saying that WinME is still installed on there along with XP ? ?
Or are these older programs you re-installed after installing XP ? ?
How much free space is on that hard drive ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

tom47

Re: Upgrade version XP, need to delete all traces of previous version?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 07:28:19 PM »
The available space on the hard drive is diminishing because we have loaded educational games for the pre-schooler and 2nd grader.  I did not load any operating system after the WinXP upgrade from WinMe that came on the machine (Dell).  As I was checking the Add/Remove Programs option to clear some space, I noticed a large Program File for WinMe.  I thought the upgrade to XP would delete those and move the needed files to the XP folder.  I was just wondering if Removing this WinMe program file would remove files needed by the Win XP platform.    During normal upgrade, would it not remove the existing Windows Operating System files that were no longer needed by the new OS?

Thanks