Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer powers up, but no beep, just hard drive loading  (Read 2238 times)

keyven

Computer powers up, but no beep, just hard drive loading
« on: April 01, 2007, 12:42:05 PM »
Tried isolating the components - disconnected the CD-ROM, HDD, FDD, as well as RAM, and it STILL gives me the same nonsense.

It all started when my Mum was formatting some Floppy disks, and suddenly the screen went all haywire (system hang + purple/orange/green mishmash of colours and text)... after that, it just refused to boot up consistently.

The only major component I installed recently was a 19" LCD WS monitor (from 17") with a direct power supply from a wall outlet.

I can hear the HDD (if its connected) loading, but there is no 'beep' that signifies that the system is loading normally, and the screen remains blank. Disturbingly, it randomly (perhaps 1 out of 10 times) gets past the boot screen, but then hangs at the Windows 'Welcome' screen.

Can anyone pls help me. I am at the end of my tether on this.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer powers up, but no beep, just hard drive loading
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 08:33:34 AM »
    Sounds like the power supply might have gone bad and taken the motherboard with it.  Do you have a spare power supply you can try?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

keyven

Re: Computer powers up, but no beep, just hard drive loading
    « Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 09:12:29 PM »
    Thanks for the reply... I do have a spare everything, but i was hoping for a rather simpler-to-resolve solution to this  ;D

Well, now IF it actually boots up, it simply loads a little before stating "Missing Operating System". I intend to use a boot disk and try to repair this problem... I don't have a backup and my Mum will have a fit if all her Email backups are gone ><