Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP crashes at boot  (Read 1934 times)

iamsam43

Windows XP crashes at boot
« on: April 01, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »
Hi,
Just a few days ago, while playing F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point, a window popped up to alert me that my system was "running low on virtual memory" and that it is now "using the pagefile" or something like that.  I knew that was a bad thing, and I knew it meant something was wrong because I have 1GB of RAM; plenty to play F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point with...

So I rebooted my PC, and tried to launch F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point again, but it hung at the loading screen indefinitely.  I rebooted again, same *censored*...

So I played Unreal Tournament 2004 for a while, which worked fine.  But the next time I rebooted my PC, I got a B.S.O.D. (blue screen of death)!  What happened seemed normal at first: 
It gets to the CMOS or whatever (I see my motherboard screen) and it checks my RAM quickly as usual...

The screen then goes black for a few seconds (as usual) then proceeds to boot Windows and I see the Windows loading screen...

Then near the end of it, right when you expect to see your desktop, a B.S.O.D flashes very quickly, and my PC reboots itself automatically.  If you don't turn it off, this cycle repeats itself forever.  Most Windows B.S.O.Ds I've seen have been long messages containing a massive error code, but this one is pretty short and I can't tell if it displays an error code or not.  Like I said, it flashes extremely quickly, then reboots before I can read any of it.  But after watching it a few times in a row, I'm SURE that it says something about the "memory" but it flashes to quickly for me to know what it says about it. :(

I tried booting into Safe Mode, but that crashes as well before it actually starts-up.

Boot CDs work fine; I booted into Ubuntu with a live cd which worked fine, and I backed up all my important stuff.  I then booted a Windows XP install disc, and tried to "recover" my Windows installation but the option is not there.  I Googled this problem and discovered that that sometimes happens.

At that point, I gave my PC to a smart friend who wanted to fix it.  He Googled the name of the service that was starting up (in Safe Mode) when the PC crashed and the B.S.O.D. appeared and concluded that the problem had something to do with a motherboard setting or jumper or something.  Other people that were having the same problem said that if you reinstall Windows, your computer will work for a few more weeks, but then start crashing again with the same problem unless you fix the motherboard problem.  Well my n00b friend lost the site where he found the details of the problem, and he also forgot the name of the service that was starting up when the PC crashed, so I have no way of finding it again because he formatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows. :(  ARRRGGG!!!!!

The PC works fine now, but it will probably break in a few weeks since the motherboard problem isn’t fixed. -.-

Important Details:
I have had this PC for over 3 years and it has always worked fine, but in a lightning storm the hard drive got fried, but I thought it was the motherboard.  So I installed a new motherboard which didn’t fix the problem and I eventually discovered that the real problem was a fried hard drive.  I put in a new one and reinstalled Windows.  Everything worked fine until just recently, when I started having the problems described above.  The motherboard issue makes sense, since I recently installed a new motherboard.

The PC:
Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates from windows update.
Athlon XP 2600+
1GB of RAM
The motherboard is a Foxcon (but I don’t remember what model and my friend has the case)

Do you guys have any ideas as to what the problem might be?  Any links to sites with information on this problem?  Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows XP crashes at boot
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 02:05:41 PM »
Well, since your hard drive has been reformatted and your computer is running fine now, I think your question here is moot, or at least premature.  I'd wait and see whether the problem occurs again.  I would not put much stock the theory that "your computer will work for a few more weeks, but then start crashing again with the same problem unless you fix the motherboard problem."

iamsam43

Re: Windows XP crashes at boot
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 02:23:31 PM »
Well, since your hard drive has been reformatted and your computer is running fine now, I think your question here is moot, or at least premature.  I'd wait and see whether the problem occurs again.  I would not put much stock the theory that "your computer will work for a few more weeks, but then start crashing again with the same problem unless you fix the motherboard problem."

Thank you for your quick reply!  Yes, my computer is working fine now.  But the real memory or pagefile problem or whatever it is could not have actually been fixed by reformatting my hard drive, right?  So it makes sense that I will be having the same problem occur again soon.  But, regardless, I see your point that my question here is premature, so what I am really asking I guess is what that motherboard setting or jumper configuration is that's caused the problem, and how I can fix it.