Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with the sound on my speakers not working  (Read 4144 times)

DeaneRenata

Problem with the sound on my speakers not working
« on: April 06, 2007, 10:31:38 AM »
I hope you have a Windows XP Home Edition or the features may not look the same for you as they are for me.

The area of computers is one area that I can help nobody with.

Getting on a computer with no sound is nobody's friend. Naturally, you would want to listen to music while you are browsing and I do this all of the time. And I like my music thunderously loud and open, thank you very much. I hate the silent speaker.

INFORMATION:

This is an Envision with a windows XP Home Edition operating system. My mother owns it, I just get on it. But that does not mean that I know anything about it or if anything at all (that would be a miracle). ;D I just come on it and go whenever I please.

SPEAKERS:

The speakers are Altec Lansing, I think Altec Lansing SERIES100 Powered Audio 120I PC Multimedia Speakers. They are not the most expensive speakers in the world, but seriously, she does not have a lot of her own money (I think I might interfere and help her with that and perhaps purchase a better pair after this).

These are the very pair, here is a picture:

http://inexpensive.tally-printer.printerwarehouse.com/product_7156_detailed.html

They are black and silver in color. These speakers have a bright blue power light above the Aux In on the left side. They have three knobs from left to right: Tone, Volume, and Power. And on the right side of the Power we have where the headphones plug up into the little socket there.

The little blue power light comes on just fine but when I turn the little black knobs all the way up but there is no sound. And I can't live without my music so as you may suspect this annoys me and drives me insane. ;D

The itty bitty sound icon on the lower right side of the screen -- I already fooled around with that. I know all about that (on this operating system it is a silver color and not a yellow color or maybe installing the Altec Lansing speakers simply made it a silver color as a theme). The sound is turned all the way up and it is not muted but there still is no sound.

So I went to Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio > Advanced > Desktop Stereo Speakers -- I do not know really what the speaker setting should be so I set it to default. After that I went to Volume tab and turned everything all the way up and there is no mute.

Still no sound.

The speakers come together into one cord and this one cord is plugged up into the back of the computer properly, unfortunately.

There is no Multimedia Option in Control Panel on this Operating System. If there is something similar to Multimedia, it is obviously called something else (which is why I can't find it).

There are no funny noises (popping, crackling) when I turn this computer on. Everything sounds fine.

F34RL355

Re: Problem with the sound on my speakers not working
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 11:23:59 AM »
Here's a few things
1) Make sure the speakers are pluged in.
2)Make sure your computer is not on mute.
3)Make sure the speakers are recieving power.
4)Go to the manufacture of your sound card's website and try redownloading your audio driver.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Problem with the sound on my speakers not working
    « Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 11:38:35 AM »
    check device manager and see if the audio card is seen there / check the BIOS and see if the sound chip (if it's built on the motherboard) in enabled

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!