Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Move hard disk from one computer to another  (Read 1981 times)

dawnload

Move hard disk from one computer to another
« on: April 06, 2007, 11:45:51 AM »
I am trying to (permanently) move my hard disk from one computer to another. (O/S is XP SP2) When I do so and attempt to boot, I get the message that says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this."  If I select Safe Mode, the startup starts but stalls after about 50 lines are displayed.  The last line displayed, when it stalls, says "Windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys."  After about 5 seconds there is a flash of the blue screen (with text) but it flashes so quickly I can't read any of it.  Is what I am attempting possible or must I reload XP?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Move hard disk from one computer to another
    « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 11:49:43 AM »
    You cannot just move one hard from one computer to another using XP, or 2000 Pro for that matter.  The hdd controller won't be recognized by XP (that's why the blue screen). The best thing I can suggest is to back up all your data on the existing system, put the drive into the other computer, then do a clean install of XP.  You can do a restore after putting in the drive but it's always better to do a clean install.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!