Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost hard drive drive space.  (Read 5508 times)

appy33

Lost hard drive drive space.
« on: October 17, 2004, 03:59:09 PM »
I have just fdisked  my sons hard drive with winxp on. and then formatted it. I used a floppy disk which I downloaded from the internet called Ranish partition manager version 2.38 beta 1.91  the problem is I can't install winxp. In the fdisk programe the fixed drive
Disk      Drv    Mbytes       Free    Usage
1                    24986                     100%
           c:       57242
I now have less than this now half the 57242
How can i get the drive back to normal.

Raptor

Re: Lost hard drive drive space.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 04:04:17 PM »
Why are you using Fdisks when the Windows XP CD-ROM can create and remove partitions for you?

appy33

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 04:10:30 PM »
Hi I tried to install windows xp and it got as far as verifying dmi pool data and stopped. I did it again and it got has far as verifying demi pool data success. Boot from cd:  twice. and I thought I needed the floppy disk.
Now I cannot get the drive back as it was.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 04:13:44 PM »
More info..if you could  make of pc..and do you have recovery disks or a winxp install disk...do you get past post?

appy33

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 04:29:38 PM »
Xp does it's file loading where it transfers the installation files and then restarts the pc. it gets as far as verifying Dmi Pool data and freezes. sometimes it gets to boot from cd:. I f I put the cd back in the cd drive it just starts the setup again.  Can you tell me how I get my hard drive back to how it was before I put the ranish partition manager in. Ps I have a 60gb drive the bios recognizes it as 60gb but fdisk only as 25gb. Ranish partition as well I don't know. 24986 mbytes and 57242mbytes. sorry I can't be more helpful

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 04:31:55 PM »
I have just fdisked  my sons hard drive with winxp on. and then formatted it. I used a floppy disk which I downloaded from the internet called Ranish partition manager version 2.38 beta 1.91  the problem is I can't install winxp. In the fdisk programe the fixed drive
Disk      Drv    Mbytes       Free    Usage
1                    24986                     100%
            c:       57242
I now have less than this now half the 57242
How can i get the drive back to normal.

I am familiar with Ranish.  It works well, but is not for the novice.  What were you attempting to do with Ranish?  It looks as if you modified the partition table.  The "verifying dmi pool data and stopped" is an indication.

Read this previous thread:  http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=3;action=display;num=1097087227;start=

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 04:39:59 PM »
boot to safe mode f8 key on boot....tap the key...and chose last config....was this an upgrade disk...or you trying to run to wixp on different pc?...<spelling mistakes allowed long day>do you have an ebd disk or recovery disks...do you use win98 disk to format the h/d...ask questions ...get the right ...answers....we hope <pun>

appy33

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 04:44:09 PM »
Hi
Thank you for your advice. I will try and read the info you gave and come back to you. it might not be tonight.

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 04:49:54 PM »
No problem someone is always here to help 24/7....the pay is lousy.. ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 04:50:23 PM by merlin_2 »

appy33

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 04:52:00 PM »
I used a win 98 disk to format and fdisk it. But I downloaded a ranish ultimate boot disk and put that one instead. this is a new installation. on to my sons new motherboard.

appy33

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 04:57:12 PM »
Thank you for your kind help? You opened up my eyes, I read some of the article you told me about and I think I have found the answer. I don't know how it happend but the drive was set to cable select. the drive has been formatted many times by me for my son and as worked fine before? so i cannot understand what has gone wrong. I new something was wrong because it took over an hour and half to format the drive before.now I have set the drive to what it should be> master It should be formatted very soon.
Once again thank you.

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 05:07:58 PM »