Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I would like to upgrade video card, don't know if my system supports?  (Read 2308 times)

taraljohnson

Hi to all.  Thanks again for your help. 

I would like to upgrade my video card, but because my computer is old, I just wonder if you could tell me by looking at my system specifications below, if it would support a new video card?  And if so, any suggestions about what kind/type?  I'm not using it for gaming, just regular use (word processing, publishing, internet, email)  Thanks for helping a girl out   :-*

Computer: 
   Operating System   Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional 
   OS Service Pack   Service Pack 4 
   DirectX   4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c) 

Motherboard: 
   CPU Type   Intel Pentium IIIE, 600 MHz (6 x 100) 
   Motherboard Name   Intel Mount Prospect MP440BX (2 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, LAN) 
   Motherboard Chipset   Intel 82440BX 
   System Memory   768 MB (SDRAM) 
   BIOS Type   Phoenix (11/30/99) 
   Communication Port   Communications Port (COM1) 
   Communication Port   Communications Port (COM2) 
   Communication Port   ECP Printer Port (LPT1) 

Display: 
   Video Adapter   ATI Technologies Inc. RAGE 128 GL AGP (16 MB) 
   3D Accelerator   ATI Rage128 GL 
   Monitor   LG L1932TQ(Analog) [NoDB] (160640747) 

GX1_Man

Re: I would like to upgrade video card, don't know if my system supports?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 09:45:15 PM »
That video card should be ideal for all the purposes you list. assuming it is functioning correctly. What kind of problems are you having that you think a video card will help?

taraljohnson

Thanks GX1,

I am  not really having any problems, but I have  noticed that I cannot run certain screensaveers (ie: the underwater marine and similair), the screensaver freezes up and I was unable to unfreeze w/out unplugging the pc.

Also, I have a brand new monitor (less than a year old) and it already has some "liquid" movement on the screen.  I didn't know if a better graphics/video card would help that out.  I read the instruction manual for the monitor and  have the refresh rate at the recommended level, and I believe I  have the  current drivers for it.

Most of my peripherals are new, and my hard drive/cd rom player and I just wanted to add a  new video card if possible.

Thanks again.  Happy Easter.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced