Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Nasty Windows Problem, Parts Of Page Missing  (Read 4538 times)

docfletch

Nasty Windows Problem, Parts Of Page Missing
« on: April 09, 2007, 06:55:48 AM »
The easiest way for me to show you the problem is to demonstrate it. If you will be so kind as to go to continental.com you will see the words Continental Airlines printed in the upper left hand corner. Just below them is a blue bar which runs from the left side all the way over to the right. This bar has selections for various gray pull down menus. My problem is that on my computer the blue bar, and words are not visible. When I place the cursor over where the blue bar should be and move it across the page left to right the pull down gray menus do appear. So then, It is all there, but can not be seen. I this problem on other sites as well. I am using windows xp pro. Please help if you can.

I believe the blue bar is called a navigation bar. On my machine it is there but not visible. If you move your cursor over where the blue bar is supposed to be and one of the links on it then a gray pull down menu appears and is fully visible. It's driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance Don ???
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 05:59:40 AM by docfletch »

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Nasty Windows Problem, Parts Of Page Missing
    « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:17:24 AM »
    What browser are you using / tried Firefox   http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Antivirus and antispyware installed, updated and run regularly?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

docfletch

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 08:24:17 AM »
    Problem is there with explorer and firefox. It is not a virus or malware.   At least I don't believe it to be. Firewall is up and all anti-virus is working as it should.

Saviour

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 08:46:49 AM »
    Regardless of what browser you are using...have you tried the obvious first?

Like clearing your browsers' cache and then reloading the page?  I've been to the site and the page loads fine, as well as the blue navigation bar.

Another thing you might want to try...make sure javascript is enabled within your browser(s).

Go to the following page and look for the browser you are using and follow the directions:

http://www.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=23852
    « Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 01:43:45 PM by Saviour »

docfletch

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 10:12:01 AM »
    Yes indeed. Been There, Done That.  Called HP (Fairly New Machine) They Don't Know Either. Called Microsoft They Say Call HP Or Pay $80.00. Other Computer In House Does Not Have The Problem.

??? Thanks for your help, Don

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 11:07:50 AM »
    If it's a fairly new machine i would exercise the warrant  on it.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BraZillion

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 11:22:01 AM »
    Well are you using a video card, or on board. It might be a lame onboard card. If you dont want to get a replacment so soon, or just to see if the card is the problem, Go to Start>Run> type in dxdiag and go to video and turn the hardware aceleration down. It might be worst quality but it works.

valcam

Starter

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 03:48:30 PM »
      I also have this problem, I am using IE7. I've tried the solutions suggested, to no avail. I remember a while ago checking something which allowed web pages to load faster (I use dial-up) :'(. Sadly I don't remeber what it was so I cannot undo it. Will follow your progress, but at least you are not alone!

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 05:37:02 PM »
      I wonder if the original poster also has IE7?

docfletch

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 10:06:16 PM »
      Indeed I do have IE7 but the problem is also with firefox. So I don't think it has anything to do with the browser.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 07:05:12 AM »
      Graphics adapter? Resolution? Is the problems with video ONLY with these sites. Everything else is totally normal?

docfletch

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 07:38:25 AM »
      Every thing is normal otherwise. I am going to swap out the monitor and play with resolution settings etc. I'll let you know if I come up with anything asap. I think the bar with links is called a navigation bar.

Saviour

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 07:51:14 AM »
      Indeed I do have IE7 but the problem is also with firefox. So I don't think it has anything to do with the browser.

What version of Firefox?

Honestly, I don't believe the problem is with your video card or the settings related to...of course, that's just me.

As far as I can tell, you're talking about one site, "Continental.com", and you're having problems with the navigation menu on the site displaying correctly.

Does it only pertain to this site...or others, as well?

What makes you think it's your video card?

If it were me, I'd be concentrating on my browsers' settings, or any malware protection software I have installed that may be preventing the browsers from running scripts.

I know you're probably pulling your hair out over this one, but instead of blaming the card...troubleshoot the browsers and malware software as far as you can.
      « Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 08:20:01 AM by Saviour »

docfletch

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 02:25:29 PM »
      Hold on there, I never said nor implied the video card. The Firefox is the latest level (2.2 I think) . I was only using Continental as a example. Other sites do it as well. The navigation bar does not display at all. I only knew it was supposed to be there because I see on the other computer I have.
      When I move the cursor over where it supposed be, then the pull down menus appear  as I move the cursor along it's length from left to right. It is not my virus stuff causing it and it is nothing to do with pop up blocker.

Saviour

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 02:36:41 PM »
      Hold on there, I never said nor implied the video card. The Firefox is the latest level (2.2 I think) . I was only using Continental as a example. Other sites do it as well. The navigation bar does not display at all. I only knew it was supposed to be there because I see on the other computer I have.
      When I move the cursor over where it supposed be, then the pull down menus appear  as I move the cursor along it's length from left to right. It is not my virus stuff causing it and it is nothing to do with pop up blocker.

I didn't say you did...BraZillion mentioned the video card.

I'm just stating the obvious.  Apparently the browsers have an issue with either images or script on the pages.  So, the only thing I'm suggesting is to concentrate on the browsers first, before the video card.