Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Western Digital Hard Drive  (Read 6342 times)

Leonid

Western Digital Hard Drive
« on: October 19, 2004, 07:44:16 AM »
 >:( i got this hard drive in august and now it seems to me broken, whenever i try to run games like Counter Strike 1.6 or Counter Strike: Source i hear a click from hard drive and my computer freezes :/....happens all the time, so I put my other hd in my comp and all the games running, but with this your hd it wont work...

is there any way to fix it?

Joleen

Re: Western Digital Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 07:47:49 AM »
Does the drive work when not playing games?  Is it all games or just CS that don't work?

Leonid

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 07:53:08 AM »
yes it does work when i am not playing games

and no, not just cs doom3 got the same error

When i enter the game sometimes i get to play for 2-10 minutes, and then i hear sound from my hd, and end of story, nothing help only restart

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 07:56:26 AM »
If it's still under warranty, back up any files you wish to keep and return it.

Joleen

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 07:57:02 AM »
Hmm that's very odd.  Usually a drive can't descriminate between applications, it either works or it doesn't.  Did you install any new hardware or were you fooling around with the drive at all recently?  How about the software (the games) are they new installs?

Leonid

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 08:01:51 AM »
CS games i had em from long ago, first time i got the erro about a month ago when i got doom3, i was playing it fine for couple days then i start getting the error. I earased everything from HD (reinstalled) and itr didnt fix it, i still get the error, even now my hd is empty only couple games on it but nothing serios, i dont have any programs either

Leonid

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 08:04:58 AM »
[glb]If it's still under warranty, back up any files you wish to keep and return it. [/glb]

well i had warranty only for a month...i bought it from Fry's...i think that the Western digital warranty is for a year, but do u think if i try to do something with wd i get a new hd?

Leonid

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 08:07:10 AM »
someone told me that its Bad Sector or something, i dont know anything about comps, whats a Bad Sector? is it pissible to fix?

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 08:10:37 AM »
That may indicate your Hard Disk Drive is failing. Or not.

Read this article:

I'm getting Bad Sectors, Clusters, and/or Missing Allocations what should I do?

If you reformat the Hard Disk Drive and see if you run into any errors described there's a chance that your Hard Disk Drive is failing.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 08:11:19 AM by Raptor »

Leonid

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 08:14:54 AM »
i am a nub in comps, how do i format or scandisk my hd?  ???

Leonid

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 08:15:46 AM »
i mean reformat or format  ???

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 08:20:40 AM »
What the terms mean:

Format

Reformat

Depending on what Operating System you are using, there are different ways to format your Hard Disk Drive.

However, it is adviceable that you download and/or use Western Digital testing software.

Obtain the software here:

Seagate Technology SeaTools

Joleen

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 08:31:15 AM »
Be aware that formatting will erase EVERYTHING on that disk!  I recommend making a backup if you can before you format.

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 08:32:39 AM »
I forgot to add that you donot require to format your Hard Disk Drive in order to use the Western Digital testing software.

Leonid

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 09:47:09 AM »
Western Digital testing software?

do u know where i can find it? I searched whole google but didnt find anything that would work...  :(