Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer runs slow  (Read 3345 times)

john49

computer runs slow
« on: April 16, 2007, 07:26:43 PM »
I have a 3 year old hewlett packard pc. it came with windows 98. I installed XP now it takes for ever to load once I turn it on. someone said I dont have enough memory, should I take XP off and re install 98 so it will run faster.  Thanks

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: computer runs slow
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 07:47:07 PM »
First give some computer specifications. If you know how much memory you have that would be good info.

Anyway, it is always better to get a new computer when you are upgrading operating systems.
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 08:03:26 PM »
Anyway, it is always better to get a new computer when you are upgrading operating systems.
COL.  Oh, really now?  Nonsense.  Let's get the facts on his present hardware and see where he stands.  The solution may be as simple as adding more RAM.  And, he may get along fine then.

However, john49, I'm wondering how old that computer really is.  You say about 3 years, yet it came with Win 98.  Was it new then?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 04:27:48 AM »

According to whom? Microsoft?  ::)

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 04:54:29 AM »

According to whom? Microsoft?  ::)

I tend to agree with him. Saves a lot of trouble with hardware incomparability and if the person can't afford it he/she will let you know and then you can start looking for alternatives..

john49

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 05:45:27 PM »
Hi again, Im not sure what info you need, but  its a Pavilion 8660C,  the physical memory says 126.48MB, with available memory 12.79MB,  Virtual mem 2.00GB, with availble 1.96GB,      Im not sure of the year, it was given to me by my parents who never used it.....anything else, let me know, thanks for all help

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 06:08:08 PM »
XP will never run well on that small amount of memory. If you don't want to upgrade that then Windows 98 is the best choice without spending any cash.

john49

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 02:27:45 PM »
Thanks for the info.....................its just a spare computer, mainly just used for surfing the web..........I dont want to sink alot of money into it..............do i just un install XP and 98 will automaticaly keep running or do I have to re install 98, I never un installed 98 when I installed Xp earlier..................thanks

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 02:33:55 PM »
What kind of processor does it come with?

john49

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 02:40:19 PM »
X86 Family 6 model 8 stepping 1 genuineinel 535mhz

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 02:46:01 PM »
Assuming the HDD is larger than 3GB your processor should be adequate to run Windows XP, adding 128MB RAM (Or more) will make the machine capable of running Windows XP for most things but multimedia applications. (Not even flash movies). It won't be very suitable for multi tasking either but the added security and compatability compared to Pre-Windows XP OS' is worth it alone..

john49

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 03:22:47 PM »
HDD is 19.0 GB.....................i did more clicking in the system page and found on another screen  that the processor is a Intel Pentium lll.....128 MB of ram, it doesnt move too slowly once the internet is logged on, but it takes awhile to get loaded after clicking the internet icon to launch it.................thanks for all help I will check into adding more RAM