Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network Adptor/ Static Electricity  (Read 4488 times)

Alecia Nash

Network Adptor/ Static Electricity
« on: October 20, 2004, 08:01:12 AM »
Good morning I have a computer that will not connect to the internet through cable any more.  I was able to identify the problem as a static interferience in the network adptor and not a virous. So I released the static and was able to get on line. I checked for virouses just incase. and I sent it back to the customer. they plug it in and they cant get on line.  How are they re charging the computer or is it somthing I'm missing completely?

Baffled

merlin_2

Re: Network Adptor/ Static Electricity
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 08:53:40 AM »
what network card<static interference could be a filter playing up and of course exceeding the ren......and more info on the netset up...and operating system

Alecia Nash

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 10:22:52 AM »
what network card<static interference could be a filter playing up and of course exceeding the ren......and more info on the netset up...and operating system

The operating system is xp and the computer is a dell 2002 desktop the network card is an internal RJ45 with two USB ports.  The internet conection is a high speed cable  set up through an external modem.  The modem seems to be working fine and I have reset all the IP config's I also had the service provider ping the computer.  The owner does do a lot of knitting could this do it? I know it sounds strange?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 11:25:47 AM »
1.  I was able to identify the problem as a static interferience in the network adptor and not a virous.

2.  So I released the static and was able to get on line.

3.  How are they re charging the computer or is it somthing I'm missing completely?

1.  How were you able to identify "static interferience in the network adptor"?

2.  How were you able to "released the static"?

3.  What is "re charging the computer"?

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 11:51:29 AM »
get the owner to try all ports on this hub and check the cat5 cables are not kinked or damaged...and can you ask if i could have  a jumper knitted its getting a bit nippy in london..

Alecia Nash

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 12:18:43 PM »
I'm sorry I'm not sure I know what you mean by the nic? I was able to identify the problem by running a system check with the CD from the cable service providor and it identified the network adaptor as having static electricity.  I then opened up the computer and released it with a grounding device, you know the one with the alagator clip that you plug into the wall, and it worked just fine.  As I recall her cable was just fine no cuts nicks or strange abarsions.  I am going there in an hour to try again any last words of advice.  Oh I will ask about the jumpor it's cold here in virginia too.

thanks, Alecia

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 12:29:40 PM »
NIC = Network Interface Card
This is new to me...never heard of a NIC with static electricity build-up (while it's on and plugged in).  Time to do some research.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 12:31:17 PM »
remove all refererences from  network interface card from the device manager save password username and re-boot ...load any software first then install hardware...and reconfig internet connections<make a new  net connetion>...and make short that any firewalls and configured to...and when connected watchout for the m$blaster/welcha/netsky worms...and  a final check is msconfig enable all msoft services..are you getting any error messages 404 etc..

Alecia Nash

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 12:40:40 PM »
Thanks I will give it a go.  what is your best bet for detecting and removing the worms you have mentioned I have been using AVG, a2, and trojanhunter?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 01:05:31 PM »
...I have been using AVG,...?

AVG is good.  Also Ad Aware for spyware removal.