Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: flashing lights on my Dell Latitude D600  (Read 4066 times)

Manky

flashing lights on my Dell Latitude D600
« on: April 26, 2007, 09:46:16 AM »

Lately i have noticed when I press the power button to turn on my dell Latitude D600 laptop computer the lights just flash on and off a couple of times then stop. this will happen about two to four times then eventually i press the power and the machine will come on normally.

Can anyone explain this strange phenomenon?

Below is some information about my laptop computer:

Version:                                  5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer:                    Microsoft Corporation
System Name                             HOME-25RUMGR23P
System Manufacturer                 Dell Computer Corporation
System Model                              Latitude D600
System Type                              X86-based PC
Processor                                x86 Family 6 Model 9 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel ~599 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date                   Dell Computer Corporation A16, 6/29/2005
SMBIOS                                        Version   2.3
Windows Directory                   C:\WINDOWS
System Directory                     C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device                                \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Total Physical Memory                 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory       188.68 MB
Total Virtual Memory                  2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory        1.96 GB
Page File Space                            1.22 GB

Justin123

Re: flashing lights on my Dell Latitude D600
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 10:00:42 AM »
Does this happen when ur computer is pluged in or running on battery, or both

Manky

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 11:25:45 AM »
I think it was running on the battery when it happened.

The battery is working fine from all indications, it lasts for about an hour or more when fully charged.

DellCA

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 02:18:26 PM »
Hello Mankey,

My name is Richard; I am part of Dell's Online Community Outreach group here in Round Rock, Texas.  I noticed your thread and wanted to ask a few questions and hopefully help you out a little.  The battery you have in this D600, is it the original battery that came with it?

The reason for my question is that the D600 has update for its bios. Bios updates are made available to assist with changes in hardware, such as batteries.  So, if this battery did not come with the system it would be a good idea to update.  You can go here, http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&deviceid=2816&libid=1&releaseid=R103802&vercnt=3&formatcnt=0&SystemID=LAT_PNT_PM_D600&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=1&impid=-1, to download the update.

If however this is the original battery, it is quit possible that the electronics that is housed in the battery has an issue.  This is possible even if the battery appears to have a good charge capability.  Another thing to keep in mind is that in most cases, regardless the manufacture, batteries are designed to work for a year.  So, this battery may be coming to the end of its life.

Finally, I wanted to mention the subject of safety!  I would strongly request you check this website, http://www.dellbatteryprogram.com, to see if it is part of our battery recall.  You will need what is called the PPID number, this will identify if the battery is on recall.  You will have to remove the battery as the ID number is on the side of the battery.

If you require further assistance, I can be contacted at [email protected], place attention Richard in the subject line.

Regards,

Richard B
Dell Online Community Outreach
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 06:57:27 AM by DellCA »