Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Troubleshooting Speaker pop/crackle  (Read 2459 times)

Isthan

Troubleshooting Speaker pop/crackle
« on: April 26, 2007, 02:44:28 PM »
Hello all, my first post to these boards.

The computer i'm having issues with is my first build and all has been well for 8 or 9 months now. 

MB: Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe
Audio: SoundMAX HD Audio (onboard)
Speakers: Logitech Quadraphonic Speakers with Subwoofer

I've started to notice an odd popping or crackling sound coming from my speakers.  It is consistent and occurs on any audio playback whether it is music or a game.  Every 3-4 seconds the speakers click, pop, or crackle when sounds are being produced from the speakers.  This cyclic sound is not produced when there is no playback or the computer is off, although a simliar sound can still be produced by flicking light switches while the speakers are on.

At first I thought that they had become worn (3-4 year old speakers) because when someone flicks the lights in another room, I hear a pop in my speakers.  I assumed they were worn from this surging of power over time.  I then plugged my headphones in and realized that the speakers are not at fault because the same sound is produced over headphones.  Next I tried loading the newest audio drivers from my motherboard company.  After that had no effect, I tried other software options like disabling winamp agent and turning off hardware acceleration, neither of which had any effect.

Any ideas you all can provide will be helpful to resolve this problem.  I didnt exactly want to buy a sound card because thats one more piece of hardware to buy when I'm not sure that would fix the problem anyway.

GX1_Man

Re: Troubleshooting Speaker pop/crackle
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 06:53:53 PM »
It probably won't. Is that computer in a grounded receptacle? How old is the wiring in the house?

Isthan

Re: Troubleshooting Speaker pop/crackle
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 09:21:30 PM »
The computer and all its peripherals are plugged into the same powerstrip which is plugged into the AC outlet.  I would estimate that the wiring is as old as the house and couldnt be older than 20-30 years.  I may try moving my entire setup to another location in the house to see if the electrical load is too great for the circut for this room and is causing the problem.