Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replacing hard drive  (Read 2124 times)

nivekious

Replacing hard drive
« on: May 01, 2007, 08:59:20 PM »
First off, I wasn't sure if this belonged in hardware or software as it involves both, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place.  My hard drive has been making odd grinding noises lately and finally started operating slowly and crashing on me.  I'm assuming I need to replace it. The problem is, when I bought my computer (a VAIO VGN-FS730/W notebook) it did not come with any installation disks for the pre-installed software including windows xp. This means that if I buy a new hard drive, I will not only lose my pre-installed programs, but I will have no way to install the operating system.  Is there any way to do this without the CD or do I have to buy a new copy of the operating system?
PS please don't suggest upgrading to Vista, there is no way my computer can handle it.

GX1_Man

Re: Replacing hard drive
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 09:01:12 PM »
If you are the original owner and registered your purchase with Sony I would contact them pronto for an operating system CD. Don't take no for an answer.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 06:18:37 AM »
My hard drive has been making odd grinding noises lately and finally started operating slowly and crashing on me.

Diagnose.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 06:23:19 AM »
Sounds like a busted capacitor....or faulty hard disk.....