Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recovering lost text from Word document  (Read 3635 times)

Tanya B.

Recovering lost text from Word document
« on: October 22, 2004, 09:13:00 PM »
I need help with this document. It's damaged. Until now, I only thought that it could not be copied or successfully submitted onto a website. Now, however, I found out it's worse: I opened the document, and some of the text is gone. In place of it are squares, symbols, and a ton of column and page breaks. The document never HAD any columns in the first place! It was a simple document, words only, Times New Roman font, just one indented paragraph after another, with a few ~'s here and there. That was it.

A huge chunk of the text is gone. I opened Microsoft Word help, and entered in "recovering lost text" and pressed search, and it told me this:

Recover the text from a damaged document
Learn about preventing loss of work.

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the General tab.

Make sure the Confirm conversion at Open check box is selected, and then click OK.

Click Open .

In the Files of type box, click Recover Text from Any File.

Open the document as usual.

I did all of that, and it ALMOST worked...almost! Except it didn't give me back ALL of my document. It gave me back about half of it, minus the chunk that I really wanted back; it didn't give me back any of the stuff I didn't already have, because, you see, the text gone is about half through the document, and it goes for a few pages with the squares, symbols, and column/page breaks, then it repeats some paragraphs I had at the document beginning, and then it skips to the end of the document. Meanwhile, this huge, pages-long chunk of the document is missing!

Does anyone know why/how this might have happened, and/or, most importantly, how I can recover the lost text?

I would very grateful for some help. Thank you.

Richard_the_lll

Re: Recovering lost text from Word document
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 12:16:23 AM »
Hi,

Which Microsoft Words do you use? Which formatte did you save in? What extension, .emz? The wired charaters are ASCII codes, sounds like it is a compressed file and when you try to open it, it wasn't decomperssed.

Richard.