Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't open certain programs via Desktop or All Programs List  (Read 2664 times)

bltyler

My computer has been having various issues...as of late I've been running spyware software, had my registry repaired, have Windows Defense running...things have improved, but I still have an issue with programs opening. I supposedly am clean of spyware, adware, viruses, etc at this point...

With certain programs on my desktop, when I double-click the icons to open them, nothing occurs. Even if I select certain programs from the Start->All Programs, the programs do not open. I have not found a common reason why certain programs open and certain don't.

Some of my programs I wish to access from my desktop are shortcuts, and some of them are the executable file itself, and still will not open.

In addition, when I do Ctrl+Alt+Del, my task manager won't open.

Now here's the strange part...

However since I have Windows Defense, I can see my current programs running. And a program that I tried accessing, that did NOT open for my use, IS shown to be currently processing. Some examples include Yahoo not opening, Creative Mediasource not opening, one of my Spyware programs not opening, etc....

Any ideas as to what could be going on?

Raptor

Re: Can't open certain programs via Desktop or All Programs List
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 08:09:47 PM »
Download, install & Update and then boot into safe mode (F8 before Windows loads)

1. AVG Free
2. Adaware SE
3. Windows Defender

Use Firefox for browsing, not IE.

bltyler

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 08:11:51 PM »
I have windows defender, and I am using Firefox...I've already ran several different Spyware and Adware programs...though I guess it doesn't hurt to try more

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 04:38:19 AM »
I have windows defender, and I am using Firefox...I've already ran several different Spyware and Adware programs...though I guess it doesn't hurt to try more

You could try to reinstall the programs in question, do you have any more problems besides programs not wanting to open?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 06:23:41 PM »
What programs ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "