Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with System Idle Process  (Read 1849 times)

TexanJLN

Problems with System Idle Process
« on: May 04, 2007, 10:45:31 AM »
Howdy,

My computer has been running slow alot lately, and most of the time the processor sound is on.   I went to the Windows Task Manager, and found that the System Idle Process is taking up most of my CPU Space, I see from other posts and articles that say it is normal, but doesn't System Idle Process running at high levels make my processor have a shorter life/ or could overheat?   Is there a way to unistall the System Idle Process or disable it?

TexanJLN

Re: Problems with System Idle Process
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 10:48:31 AM »
Also, I have Windows XP Home, 2.7 Ghz Celeron Processor with 128MB DDR PC2700 Ram.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Problems with System Idle Process
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 10:58:14 AM »
... doesn't System Idle Process running at high levels make my processor have a shorter life/ or could overheat?   Is there a way to unistall the System Idle Process or disable it?
No, it won't shorten the life... and, no, it can't be removed or disabled.  Anyway, there'd be no point in that.  Look, the total of processes shown in Task Manager must add up to 100%.  So, if the processes actually requiring CPU resources are basically idle, how is 100% going to be derived?  By putting an item in there just to make the total equal 100%.  It's just a mathematical thing, nothing more.

Your main problem is that you only have 128MB RAM.  Double or quadruple that and you have a much better running computer.  You also need to keep the system free of spyware, viruses, etc., and do periodically do some disk cleanup and defragment your hard drive, but, you really need more RAM.