Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there any way to fix this firmware?  (Read 4487 times)

xx521xx

Is there any way to fix this firmware?
« on: May 04, 2007, 08:52:05 PM »
Hi,

I recently bought my first CD burner. It's a Sony Spessa USB Plus CRX100E/X2 drive. I found out that it can't quite burn an entire 80 min/700MB disk, but that there is supposedly a firmware update that fixes it. I downloaded a firmware update program from Sony's website (found here), and flashed the drive with the default firmware file (CDRW0008.BIN), but it didn't seem to do anything except change the driver to an EEPROM driver. I switched back to the original driver, and it was as if I had never done anything...

The firmware program came with another BIN file, ZERO.BIN, so I tried flashing that. I guess that was a mistake, because now the drive doesn't work at all - it's recognized as a "non-specific QT processor with JG". I tried changing the driver back to the original again, but this time Windows won't use it. It just says that there are no compatible drivers for the device. I tried to flash the firmware with the program from Sony again, but now it doesn't recognize the drive as being compatible, so it won't flash it.

I was hoping to get some support from Sony, but they informed me that I would have to pay more than I paid for the drive in the first place to get support. ::) So, I hope someone here might have an idea of how I can fix it. :(

GX1_Man

Re: Is there any way to fix this firmware?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 09:17:11 PM »
That is why the smarter people here do NOT recommend firmware or BIOS updates lightly. You can end up with a doorstop and no recourse. If the product is still under warranty and doesn't do what is advertised, take it back for a return or replacement with something that does.

xx521xx

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 09:50:38 PM »
Yeah, I should've known better than to flash some random file to the firmware... I've heard about the dangers of firmware flashing before, I just didn't listen. ::)

Well, thanks for replying.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 10:11:34 PM by xx521xx »

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 06:59:18 AM »
Just return the drive and tell the people it 'stopped working all of a sudden'

xx521xx

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 04:15:17 PM »
I don't think that would work very well since I bought it on eBay, and left positive feedback a few days before I broke it. :P

Actually, I was able to salvage the drive.  I noticed that the drive was just an IDE drive in an enclosure, and the firmware I was flashing was the firmware for the enclosure, so I took it apart and installed the drive internally. :)