Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows taking unusually long to boot up  (Read 4130 times)

fonzbear2000

windows taking unusually long to boot up
« on: October 23, 2004, 10:00:21 AM »
when my computer is booting up, right before the screen that says "windows is starting up/loading personal settings", i hear a beep from my computer's internal speaker and then it takes extra long during the "windows is starting up/loading personal settings" screen-this didn't happen until after i installed sp2

merlin_2

Re: windows taking unusually long to boot up
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 10:22:20 AM »
the beep you mention is normal...try a few tweaks have a look here>http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm i have my own options on updating....<dont bother>

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 11:12:25 AM »
I have my own opinions on most of Merlin's posts <don't read>

scan for viruses, trojans and spyware.

Defragment on a regular basis.

Also clean your registry and remove redundant files.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 02:34:34 PM »
What happens with updates they pinch your hard drive space...screwup your pc...then along comes a reg cleaner...and deletes most of the winupdates....so what is the advantage of having them in the first place i can understand that programmer may have placed a dot is instead of a dash reg patches..butwhy are there so many updates...views on this subject...a poll maybe...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 02:39:04 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 03:30:09 PM »
There are updates because some software isn't properly written and requires fixing.....?

Why do you think technology constantly keeps improving?