Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 2000 can't access floppy drive unless disk in drive when starting  (Read 2712 times)

MikeBramm

This is a really strange problem.  Windows 2000 has problems accessing my 3 1/2" floppy drive.  If I try to access a drive through Explorer or a DOS box, Windows can't read the disk.  At first I thought it was a bad drive so I removed it and tested it in another system and found it worked just fine.  I then re-installed it in the system in question and found that I can boot to the floppy drive just fine.  I then rebooted the system with a non-bootable disk in the drive.  When I received the "Non-system disk.  Remove and press any key..." prompt, I ejected the disk, let Windows start and immediately put the disk back in the drive.  Since there is now a disk in the drive as Windows is starting up, it allows access to the disk from Explorer and a DOS box.  It seems that Windows will only allow access to a floppy if it's in the drive when Windows starts up.  Installing a disk in the drive after Windows is up and running doesn't allow access.

Any ideas?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
I would try this.  Remove the floppy disk.  Open Device Manager and uninstall the floppy drive.  Then, restart the computer.  Does Windows recognize new hardware and install it?

MikeBramm

Thanks for the help.  It worked perfectly.  Windows found the drive and re-installed the driver without any user intervention.

Strange thing is, while testing previously (before posting here), I uninstalled the drive from Device Manager but instead of rebooting, I clicked "Scan for hardware changes" from the context menu.  At that point, Windows found the drive and re-installed the driver but it still wouldn't work.

Thanks again for the help.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Glad to hear it's working.  And, by the way, welcome to the forum.  Come back anytime.