Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop w/external monitor problem  (Read 2760 times)

jcbick

Laptop w/external monitor problem
« on: May 12, 2007, 08:33:08 AM »
This is the second go round - I realized that my previous description of the problem was inadequate.

I have an Acer TravelMate 2410 laptop with a cracked screen - the left third of the screen is useable, but the rest is not. I've been using a ViewSonic VE150 as an external monitor for the last year with no problems. Now, when I boot the system, I get the error message "Out of Range 23Hz/18KHz". This is after I get the Acer splash screen and the Windows XP boot up splash screen during startup. The VE150 drivers are correctly installed.

On the settings box, I can apply the check box to extend the desktop to the external monitor successfully, but when I check the "Use this device as the primary monitor" box, the Viewsonic goes black.

Video card in the laptop is Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset, 128 Mb, Intel Video BIOS.

The Acer email tech said “For this error message try booting to Safe Mode and make sure the display resolution is set for 1280x1024 and set the refresh rate to 75Hz.” I tried this, but it didn’t work. While in Safe Mode, the external monitor came up as it should. Several others have made different suggestions about resolution and refresh rate, but nothing has worked. I've been into the device manager and the only strange issue is that there are duplicate entries for the video card, the laptop monitor, and the external monitor. I have yet to try and change any registry settings.

Any ideas???

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

• My Skatevids Check Signature
    Re: Laptop w/external monitor problem
    « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 08:53:06 AM »
    Have you made any changes to your BIOS.
    I would check it if I was you.
    Thats all I know about this problem.

Jonas ;)

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 09:25:18 AM »
    If he hasn't played about in the BIOS, now is not the time to start. How about removing the monitor entries in Control Panel and then restart Windows?

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

• My Skatevids Check Signature
      « Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 09:29:56 AM »
      If he hasn't played about in the BIOS, now is not the time to start.
      Thats what I was trying to tell him.
      But it seems that my info isn't as directly like most people doesn't ontherstand it.
      I should be more directly.

Jonas ;)

jcbick

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 09:40:42 AM »
      Thanks gents.  I haven't made any BIOS changes.  I think I'll try removing the devices from the device manager and restarting to see what happens.  Thanks for the tip and I'll post back on results.