Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I have duplicate picture files, I don't want them  (Read 4531 times)

margaretforgets

I have duplicate picture files, I don't want them
« on: October 24, 2004, 07:56:01 PM »
I have 2 or more of all pictures on my computer. I search for all picture files and if I delete one, they both go to the recycle bin. I don't understand why and I don't want all of the duplicates. How can I fix this?

Raptor

Re: I have duplicate picture files, I don't want t
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 06:35:58 AM »
How are you deleting them and how are you searching for them?

margaretforgets

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 07:30:51 AM »
I go to "start" then "search" for all picture files.
I right click and delete one of the 2 pictures and they both go to the recycle bin. They also have the same name (if that matters).  Thanks.

Mac

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 11:10:40 AM »
I have 2 or more of all pictures on my computer. I search for all picture files and if I delete one, they both go to the recycle bin. I don't understand why and I don't want all of the duplicates. How can I fix this?

Take a close look at them and see if one is a real file and one is just a shortcut to it. i.e. Does the real file have a size?

If they are both real files, then make a folder called PIC and copy the Entire Pictures folder to it with all of the picture.

Test by deleting a picture in one of the two other files, and if the same picture is NOT deleted from the PIC\Pictures folder , empty the recycle bin and then delete both of the suspects so that they are still in the Bin.

Now copy the Pictures folder (on its own) in the PIC folder back to the My Documents folder and see if this condition persists. Or put it somewhere else and make a link to it.

Mine is on another drive in its own folder.

(I do hope that MS is going to split the My Documents folder up so that each one can be placed on a different drive easily if you want it to be.)

It is my biggest complaint apart from the prefix My on everything.

It should either read Your or, better still, God's, IMHO. :)

e.g. God's computer.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 12:19:18 PM »
what happens if you rename one of them...then delete it..and what are they gif/jpeg/bmp and which operating system is doing this?

margaretforgets

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 01:22:46 PM »
They are jpg and I'm using xp. It's not only pictures I've taken, but also others on the computer including game icons and xp icons.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 01:31:43 PM »

Mac

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 02:46:31 PM »
Hello Margaret,

Which Service Pack do you have installed?

Have you tried this to check your software applications?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-028.mspx

Is the system fully updated?