Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Application popup: Explorer.EXE - Application Error  (Read 4001 times)

FICMark

Application popup: Explorer.EXE - Application Error
« on: May 14, 2007, 03:52:04 PM »
HELP!!  I hope somebody can help me with this.  I have posted this on Windowsforum.org and CNET Forums and have not had any luck.

I get the following error several times a day. Normally when opening a folder or launching an application from the Quick Lauch Toolbar or double-clicking on an item in a folder to open it.

Application popup: Explorer.EXE - Application Error : The instruction at "0x0145b190" referenced memory at "0x0145b190". The memory could not be "read".

The options are OK and DEBUG.  When I click on DEBUG it doesn't do anything and after clicking OK, explorer shuts down and restarts.

The following text is from Event Viewer and when I click on the link it is very generic info that says the driver needs to be reinstalled.   I don't know how to reinstall Explorer.exe if that is the right thing to do.

=====================================================================
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 5/8/2007
Time: 11:34:54 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MARK-B6B03827FF

Description:
Application popup: Explorer.EXE - Application Error : The instruction at "0x0145b190" referenced memory at "0x0145b190". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
==============================================================================================

Computer Specs:
Windows XP SP-2 with all current updates
Pentium 4 2.0 GHz with 1.5 GB RAM

Will be happy to provide any other information that will be helpful.

Thank you.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Application popup: Explorer.EXE - Application Error
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 04:52:29 PM »
What did the other forums already advise you to do?
If you have your windows xp cd, restart your computer and boot from the cd. After a few prompts, you'll want to choose to repair windows. There are two different repair options, one is a manual repair and the other is automatic. If you get the wrong one, start over.
Back up your data before you do this, just in case something goes wrong. (probably won't go wrong)

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 05:53:23 PM »
What antivirus protection did you have installed prior to the issue?
Is it possible for you to run a full scan?

If this is not a virus, it could be a problem with your memory

Download and burn http://www.memtest86.com/
(Thats the only memory tester I know of, thanks goes to GX1_Man, if anyone knows of a better, please post!)

If you are skilled at navigating your BIOS, disable the quick diagnostics.
(Tell us what beep codes you get)

FICMark

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 06:14:33 AM »
Thank you both for your suggestions.  I have been working on both and will try to address question you both have.

First, the other forums have not yet provided any response or suggestions that is why I am so appreciative of your response.

I am running McAfee anti-virus software and I have run a full scan without finding any problems.  I keep my definitions up to date and have scheduled scans so I am comfortable there, but, just to be sure, I manually checked for updates and did a full scan without discovering any major issues and had the problem after doing that.

Then I downloaded the memory test software and ran it.  There were no errors.

Finally, I booted from my Windows XP CD and chose 'R' for repair.  After that it brought me to a DOS prompt and with the message Type 'Exit' to return to Windows or something like that.  I have no idea what to do at that point to repair Explorer.  Can you provide a suggestion?

Once again, thank you for your help.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    « Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
    well you protections are limited look at my signature

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 11:16:09 AM »
    If you get a dos-like prompt for the recovery option, you chose the wrong one. There's another recovery option that is automatic. Give it another try.