Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive with bad sectors  (Read 1904 times)

myhigh

Topic Starter

Rookie

hard drive with bad sectors
    « on: May 14, 2007, 09:55:18 PM »
    Hello there!

I just did a check on a hdd  that i would like to install on my son's computer for

additional storage and the diagnostic tool(ultimate build 4 win) says that i have two

bad sectors on it.I am wondering if i can still use this drive and if so what do i have to

do to it to make it reliable...the hdd is a 40gb maxtor and i will be adding it on a

system that has windows xp on it.

contrex

Re: hard drive with bad sectors
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 12:27:49 AM »
    A new hard disk should have zero bad sectors on it. An older drive may "grow" a bad sector or two now and again, however in many cases this is a harbinger of impending disaster with the disk. Take it as the warning sign it is.

In my opinion it would be foolish to assign as extra storage, a disk which you now know is becoming potentially unreliable.  Don't be a cheapskate. With the price of hard drives as they are these days, re-using it in your son's computer is a false economy.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 02:51:42 PM »
    Use the diagnostics directly from the drive manuf. for the most accurate test results to see if you can trust this drive with data...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

myhigh

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 09:58:08 PM »
      o.k.  thanks again for the info Patio & Contrex