Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Certain programs taking very long to load or don't load at all.  (Read 5761 times)

utkcito

I don't know what happened, but suddenly the services console takes forever to load, it is "Not responding" but after ~10 min it finally loads and works fine. The same happens for the Palm Desktop. Directory Opus (an explorer replacement) appears on the task manager but won't load at all. The console and palm desktop also appear in the task manager since launch. The system is 99-98% idle during all this. Other parts of the computer seem unaffected.

Any ideas where to start?

Many thanks,

Uriel.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: Certain programs taking very long to load or don't load at all.
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 02:57:58 PM »
    more information on the machine plz

OS
    specs of machine
    protection programs
    when did this start
    what changes have you made? hardware software?

utkcito

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 03:07:05 PM »
    Specs:
    WINDOWS XP PRO SP2
    CORE DUO 2 E6400, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, ATI RADEON X1950 PRO, SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 PLATINUM.
    I'M using Zone Alarm security suite, lates version. The problem is present whether it is loaded or not. It started less than a week ago. I've installed lately a couple of adobe programs, and I recall I changed a couple of services' settings, but the 1st thing I did was set them back to the default settings and it didn't help.

utkcito

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 03:08:26 PM »
    Also, of note, firefox, outlook express, opera, internet explorer, word, excel, NWN2, etc work fine. It is certain programs, as mentioned, that cause trouble.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      « Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 03:40:59 PM »
      does it do it in safe mode?

tap f8 rapidly before windows loads

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 08:56:01 PM »
      Specs:
      WINDOWS XP PRO SP2
      CORE DUO 2 E6400, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, ATI RADEON X1950 PRO, SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 PLATINUM.
      I'M using Zone Alarm security suite, lates version. The problem is present whether it is loaded or not. It started less than a week ago. I've installed lately a couple of adobe programs, and I recall I changed a couple of services' settings, but the 1st thing I did was set them back to the default settings and it didn't help.

What method did you use to disable services and which ones were they ? ?

This is almost always a bad gamble....
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "