Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphics card causing Windows display errors  (Read 3100 times)

Romey

Graphics card causing Windows display errors
« on: May 21, 2007, 08:52:08 PM »
Hoping someone can help out there :)

I just did a fresh install of Windows 98 SE after completely wiping and formatting the hard drive. Downloaded latest drivers (81.98) for my nVidia 5200 FX 128MB graphics card, but after install and restart the Windows loading screen becomes distorted and most times goes black with white symbols/letters running in vertical lines over the screen.

Sometimes it loads to windows but the display is all glitched/blurry. Loads to safe mode fine. I receive an error (nvudisp.exe) trying to uninstall the drivers and trying to install older drivers brings up an error ('Setup was unable to locate any NVIDIA graphics chips on the system'). Sometimes when windows loads normally I will receive 'nvsvc.exe' has performed an illegal operation error.

The computer has not been connected to the internet at all and no viruses or anything are present. Video card was fine before format.. Is this a driver issue? Do I have to download anything else before my video card drivers? I'm willing to wipe and reinstall again to follow new steps if I must!

Thankyou for your time :)

Jerome

-AMD Athlon 1700+ processor
-Shuttle AK12A motherboard
-512MB RAM
-80Gig HDD

eaglestrike7339

Re: Graphics card causing Windows display errors
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 10:05:11 PM »
if no one has any other ideas, try installing the original drivers. You probably have them on disk some where, and those work for sure.

Romey

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 10:55:16 PM »
I'm just reformatting my harddrive and installing windows again because I couldn't get any drivers to uninstall, they were just stacking and causing problems.

Before I install the video drivers this time, on a fresh install of windows, is there anything else I should install before this? Are there such things as motherboard drivers? or processor ones? I have no idea, just thinking that maybe the system needs updating before I can install the video drivers.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 07:00:57 AM »
The MBoard drivers definitely need to be re-installed on a new install...in fact they should always be installed BEFORE any other drivers...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Romey

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 08:32:20 AM »
Fresh install of Windows OS, installed motherboard drivers, installed Chipset drivers (which noone said anything about) and then tried the graphics drivers. Computer is worse than before, won't go near windows startup. Don't know why but now I can't even get to a command prompt...it shows POST screen and loads IDE drives but then comes to a flashing curser, no further.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 04:35:53 PM »
Sorry for the mis-understanding but the reason chipset drivers weren't mentioned is they are usually part of the MBoard driver set...
Since you say you are able to enter safemode i would suggest powering down and physically removing that vid card and re-booting into safe mode and remove the nVidia drivers...
See if this enables the machine to boot properly and double check to see if that card will run under Win98...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Romey

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 04:55:54 PM »
The problem with that patio is that the motherboard has no on-board display adaptor. ie. to see the screen, it has to plugged into the nvidia card. For a short time there I could remove the nvidia drivers if I loaded just the standard windows graphics drivers. The card is definately compatible with win98SE as it was running merely weeks ago.

I am wondering if perhaps something is damaged with the card/graphics card slot? It's had because I could just get another card for $50 or get the whole system checked for $100, but if the slot is damaged then I waste $50 and if it's just the card I waste $100!  :'( Any suggestions? Thanks for your help so far!

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 03:21:18 AM »
Does a friend have an appropriate video card for you to install and try for a short time? If so, remember to uninstall these drivers before installing the other card.

I always have a cheap low end PCI card around which will fit in any computer. (ATI 8 meg.)