Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power supply question.  (Read 2448 times)

snakeeyes021

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Power supply question.
    « on: May 26, 2007, 05:16:35 PM »
    I'm trying to figure out what kind of power supply to get 'cause my motherboard needs a special kind. I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box when it comes to building computers so I hope someone would be able to tell me what I need.

Here's my computer:

Motherboard: Asus PC-DL Deluxe
    Processors: Dual Intel Xeon 2.4's
    HDD: 320 GB Western Digital Hard Drive
    RAM: 2x 512 Kingston something or other sticks
    Video: Geforce FX 5200
    Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy Pro 2
    Everything Else: 1 DVD-Rom Drive, 1 CD-RW/R Drive, 1 Floppy Drive, 3 fans

I know that the PC-DL Deluxe requires a special power supply, I'm just not really sure of the specifics, something about EPS or something like that, not really sure...

Anyways, I found this one http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=20551 and it seems about right. If anyone could let me know if this one is ok, or if anyone has any better suggestions, let me know. Thanks.

Oh PS.
    Just a stupid question about power supplies. Buying a power supply with too low of a wattage could obviously pose a problem because the devices might not be sufficiently powered, but is there anything wrong with buying a PSU with too high of a wattage (other than the possibility of paying too much)? Thanks.

snakeeyes021

Topic Starter

Rookie
      Re: Power supply question.
      « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 05:46:32 PM »
      Oh, one more thing. I should probably mention that I intend sometime in the future to upgrade my graphics and possibly my sound card, so take that into consideration, thanks.

GX1_Man

Re: Power supply question.
      « Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 09:35:29 PM »
      That should be more than adequate and Antec is a solid brand. No, more power is not a bad thing.  ;)