Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: audio device not found error message  (Read 2291 times)

sweetindigoblues

audio device not found error message
« on: May 28, 2007, 02:23:10 AM »
my os is win xp.  i had to reformat recently, and now the error message that pops up says:

There are no active mixer devices available.  To install mixer devices go to control panel, click add printers/new hardware, add hardware.

The problem is that i've tried to reinstall the drivers, and i can't get it to work.  when i've looked at the device manager, the icon next to the video/sound area is a yellow question mark.  also, when i've asked windows to find the hardware and install the drivers, it says that it can't.  perhaps i'm doing something wrong, so does anyone have any tips?  could i get someone to map out what i'm supposed to do to fix this problem?

also, (this is a dumb question probably) but could it be that my card is just broken?  the computer is about 4 years old...

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: audio device not found error message
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 04:02:50 AM »
What sound card do you have?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: audio device not found error message
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 08:13:57 AM »
The actual card itself may have come unseated...remove all power sources, open the case and re-seat the card. Do some housekeeping while in there using a can of  compressed air to clean out all fans a/ heatsinks.
The drivers may be the incorrect ones if they won't install...are these the ones that came with the card ? ?
Lastly the card may have failed. To test it install it in a known working machine using the correct drivers...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "