Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Dimension 4100 Boot Problems  (Read 4219 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Dell Dimension 4100 Boot Problems
    « on: May 29, 2007, 06:54:26 AM »
    When I go to boot it,  it does a RAM count and tires to detect the HardDrive.  Then  I while its doing that I get a error from the color coded lights on the back saing that the RAM need to be reseated or an error with the video card.  Then everythings okay but I have an error on the screen NDLTR is missing.  But I know that HardDrive good cause I ran it on another system. 
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Dell Dimension 4100 Boot Problems
    « Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 07:57:03 AM »
    I know that HardDrive good cause I ran it on another system. 
    More details on this, please.  Did you just remove the hard drive from another computer and put it in this one without formatting the drive and doing a fresh installation of Windows? 

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 10:04:56 AM »
      I'm sorry I should have provived more information.  I took a HardDrive from another PC after formating it an have windows XP installed
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:39:33 AM »
      Did you install Win XP after putting the drive in this computer?  Did you use a Recovery CD from Dell  to install Windows?  Why did you move the HD from another computer over to this one?  What's the status of the original HD in this computer?

Here's a reference on NTLDR is Missing, many others can be found from a search:
      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=NTLDR+is+missing&spell=1

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 06:18:37 AM »

I formated the drive and install XP.  No.  Because I was unable to format it and I'm still unable to see it.  I had to switch it with a master in a differnt computer but I'm unable to boot from it after formating and install xp

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 07:29:49 AM »
        I formated the drive and install XP.  ...  Because I was unable to format it and I'm still unable to see it. 
        You seem to be contradicting yourself.  You formatted but you were unable to format.  Please make a better effort to post something coherent.  I really can't decipher your responses, if any, to the points in my previous post. 

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 09:10:59 AM »
          I'm sorry that I'm not being clear enough I formated it in a differnt computer and move it back to the dell dimension 4100 and was unable to load maxtor maxblast

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 09:41:10 AM »
          Why do you need to load maxtor maxblast?  Why not proceed with installing Windows from your Dell Recovery CD?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 09:59:30 AM »
            Because I can't boot from the harddrive once I move it and I can't see the windows install disk

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 01:37:23 PM »
            Of course, you can't boot from it.  You can't boot from a blank hard drive; nothing there to boot.   ::)

You need to boot from your Recovery CD.  And, to do that, you may need to access your BIOS and set CD-ROM as the initial boot device. 

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 06:17:35 AM »
              So I have to by pass the HardDrive

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 07:25:11 AM »
              Yes.  You need your computer to look to a CD drive first instead of a hard drive to boot.