Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Media Center XP needs to be reinstalled  (Read 2125 times)

GSXITH3

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Media Center XP needs to be reinstalled
    « on: May 30, 2007, 09:17:28 PM »
     :(  Some of my Icons will not work and I have been receiving DATA EXECUTIOn PREVENTION errors for some of the same programs.  The vendor suggest that I do a clean install of XP.  This sounds a little scary for a "newbie".  Any suggestions or a "walk though" post would be appreciated!  Thanks for any assistance.

kick9_soccer

Re: Media Center XP needs to be reinstalled
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 09:19:57 PM »
    Do you mean that the icons on your desktop dont work? If so, have you tryed going into your start menu and getting to your media center like that? Do you have any other information you can give me?

GSXITH3

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 06:32:57 AM »
      I tried start command and run command.  What is funny is all of my restore points before 5/29/07 are gone also.  I restored to the earliest point left and the program (Cyberlink- Power Director) did start.  I use it once and the next time, a couple of hours later, the icon would not work.  I tried all the options suggest by Cyberlink's tech support and reinstalled serval times with no results.  They now say that XP probably has become corrupted and a clean install is the only solution.  That sounds a little scary.  Any suggestions of the steps I need to take to do that, the programs that will have to be reinstalled, the files I need to back up etc.?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 07:42:13 AM »
      Another Option

In a repair install of XP your programs and data are left intact...you need an XP CD to do this not a manuf. Restore CD...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "