Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What's the difference between a recovery disk and a Windows reinstallation disk?  (Read 5038 times)

Panda25

Topic Starter

Beginner
    I am looking into buying a new computer and noticed that some systems come with recovery disks and some systems come with Windows installation disks.  What is the difference?  Do recovery disks make it so that when you reinstall Windows, the drivers are installed as well?  I have a Dell Dimension 4300 right now and it came with a Windows installation disk that had Dell printed on the label.  When I rebuilt my system one time, I still had to reinstall all the drivers.  Would a recovery disk reinstall all drivers without me having to go on the Net and download them?
    Thanks in advance!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    A Windows installation disk installs Windows.
    A recovery disk sets your PC back to how it was when you got it.
    A Windows disk is the better of the two.
    Hope this helps.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    When I rebuilt my system one time, I still had to reinstall all the drivers.  Would a recovery disk reinstall all drivers without me having to go on the Net and download them?
    Yes, that is an advantage of using a recovery disk that came with the computer when it was new.  Since you're talking about new computers, I have a hunch that, if you elect to get the Windows disk, they might also come with a disk that has the drivers you need.  I'd look into that.

Panda25

Topic Starter

Beginner
      Thank you both for the information.  I've been wondering about this for a long time.  Now I know.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      You're welcome.
      Post back if you have any more questions.