Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File Explorer, how do I get folders always on left and files on right?  (Read 2295 times)

dude1234

In Windows 2000, in the File Explorer, I can go View->Explorer Bar->Folders and the left side of the screen shows folders whilst the right side of the screen shows what's in those folders.

I can also go Tools->Folder Options->View->Like Current Folder. This should record my preference to show the folders on the left always, whenever I open File Explorer.

Problem:- that doesn't happen. If I open "My Documents" it uses the default view. Likewise if I set up a shortcut to a folder, it uses the default view.

Can I change something in the registry so that the default view always has the folders on the left? Please help.

lordvader781

Intermediate
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    I'm using XP so this might be different.  That particular option cannot be remembered by the OS from what I can tell. I just tried it here on XP and it didn't remember that for me.

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

May be shortcut refers directly to explorer.exe which you can't customise.
      Vibhor Kumar Agarwal