Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to access My Documents on another harddrive  (Read 3847 times)

Kyo003

Unable to access My Documents on another harddrive
« on: June 18, 2007, 12:10:49 AM »
I built a new Athlon 64 bit computer and installed Windows XP on a new SATA hard drive to be used as my primary drive.

I now cannot access the My Documents of my previous Windows profile on my previous Western Digital ATA hard drive.

A friend told me that I should change the jumper settings on the old unaccessible hard drive to the slave settings and I should then be able to access my previous profiles My Documents. When I change the jumper settings the old hard drive is not recognized by my new computer. The new computer only seems to recognize my old hard drive when I have no jumper settings in place.

The profile that I'm trying to access was password protected.

How can I gain access to my old profile? I was thinking that maybe I would have to reinstall or repair Windows XP (so that the old hard drive will boot with the new 64 bit processor, it will not if I just try to boot up with the original Windows installation) and hope that all my information doesn't get erased, but no one I know can give me a clear answer on this.

Please help.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Unable to access My Documents on another harddrive
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 05:34:19 AM »
Have you attempted temporarily removing the SATA and seeing if the IDE will boot as it used to ? ?

Remember...no jumpers.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kyo003

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 03:16:07 PM »
Yes, it was one of the first things I tried after putting together the new hardware.

I think that there is a conflict with the original drives Window settings for a 32 bit processor setting, that will not allow it to boot my new 64 bit hardware.

This is why I think that maybe a reinstall or repair of Windows on the original hard drive might allow me to access my files.

Of course I have yet to do this as I am afraid that either the rep or rein will erase the files I wish to access.

TehGerg

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 03:18:34 PM »
There is a program out there to get around parts of it (sorry no name off the top of my head) but the easiest way is to throw it in the old machine and remove the password from the account.  If that is possible anyways, i wonder if something like y copy could copy it to a new install..... but thats just thinking out loud.

Kyo003

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 03:33:28 PM »
I tried to pop it into the old machine, but the power supply had died by the time I got around to doing so.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 06:46:18 PM »
The profile that I'm trying to access was password protected.
Help me understand correctly...is this part of the problem or not the issue ? ?

Does the MY Documents folder show up when both drives are connected ? ?

If so  Try This...

Kyo003

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 07:38:57 PM »
I'm unsure if this is, or is not, part of the problem. I'm just trying to provide all information that I think may be relevant.

Although I do "think" it may be part of the problem, I am not sure.

C:\Documents and Settings\ is the folder I can open and see.

C:\Documents and Settings\(User Name) is the folder I can see but am unable to access.

Using the information from the link you provided I was able to access the folder C:\Documents and Settings\(User Name) but I am now unable to proceed further within the Desktop, Favorites, or My Documents folders.

I'm going to try and reboot my computer into safe mode and see if I'll be able to get further from there.

Kyo003

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 08:18:14 PM »
Okay, so I rebooted in safe mode and was still unable to access the folders I wanted to by just clicking.

But I was able to erase the previous user account that held permissions for the files I wanted which allowed me further access into the folder.

This got me into the next layer of folders, but again I was unable to proceed further then that.

I decided to fiddle around with steps 1 - 3 again on this new folder;

1.   Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2.   Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3.   Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

Although when I clicked on the Security tab I received this message, "You do not have permission to view or edit the current permission settings for (Folder Name), but you can take ownership or change audit settings."

Deciding to forge on through I clicked on Advanced, then the Owner tab, chose my profile and checked the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box. This allowed me full access.

The only problem with this is that I now have to do this with each other folder. But hey I'm not able to access all my junk.

Thank you everyone for your replies and helpful advice.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 12:58:06 PM »
So are things better...or worse ?

On the bright side this may get you into a regular backup routine for your important data...

I use and highly recommend Acronis True Image.

Worst case scenario i'm one week away from any data loss. Works for me.

Kyo003

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 02:07:36 PM »
Oh it's better, sorry about the typo at the end it should say, "I am able to access all my junk".

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 02:37:12 PM »
Good to hear...stop by anytime.