Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can I swap my processor?  (Read 3074 times)

rmedjr

can I swap my processor?
« on: June 18, 2007, 02:44:08 AM »
I am buying a Asus r1f, because I need a tablet pc that can decently handel graphics and I was told that asus is one of the best out there for the money and being a college student I found one at a decent price. The problem is that the computer  only has a 1.6 gig intel core 2 duo processor. I really need something more like 1.8 intel core 2 duo but all models with a 1.8 or above are come with a 600 US dollar higher price tag. Can I just buy a 1.6 computer and later swap the processor for a 1.8 or higher maybe? Can I play a game like WOW on that machine just in case or will that give me problems?I do know a little about computers and can add ram swap hard drives and my dad is an Electircal Engineer and I am going for a degree in computer science I just dont know enough yet, I guess I will eventually learn, GO School!!, heh.
Any sugestions or comments greately apreciated.

DeltaSlaya

Apprentice
  • Google
    Re: can I swap my processor?
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 03:11:33 AM »
    I am buying a Asus r1f, because I need a tablet pc that can decently handel graphics and I was told that asus is one of the best out there for the money and being a college student I found one at a decent price. The problem is that the computer  only has a 1.6 gig intel core 2 duo processor. I really need something more like 1.8 intel core 2 duo but all models with a 1.8 or above are come with a 600 US dollar higher price tag. Can I just buy a 1.6 computer and later swap the processor for a 1.8 or higher maybe? Can I play a game like WOW on that machine just in case or will that give me problems?I do know a little about computers and can add ram swap hard drives and my dad is an Electircal Engineer and I am going for a degree in computer science I just dont know enough yet, I guess I will eventually learn, GO School!!, heh.
    Any sugestions or comments greately apreciated.
    A 1.6ghz core 2 duo is plenty - its not the clock speed that matters. For comparison, a 1.83ghz core 2 duo is better and more overclockable than a Pentium D Extreme 3.6ghz

Playing World of Warcraft (if thats what you mean) depends more so on the graphics card.

If this is a tablet PC like a big PDA then it's probably highly unlikely you'll be swapping CPUs, RAM or HDD.
    System specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (up to 3.3 stock V and air)
    ASUS Striker Extreme
    XFX 8600GT XXX Edition
    2x 1gB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
    Seagate Barracuda 320gB SATA
    Raidmax Ninja 918 (520W ATXV2.0 PSU)
    -

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 01:16:40 PM »
    Can I just buy a 1.6 computer and later swap the processor for a 1.8 or higher maybe?
    No.
    As has been said, a 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo will be plenty of power, although not overclockable in this situation (don't overclock a laptop/tablet PC) it will be powerful.
    Can I play a game like WOW on that machine just in case or will that give me problems?
    Depends on the rest of the components, RAM and graphics card especially.

TehGerg

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 01:49:16 PM »
    for WoW you want a 5700 go or better and at the very least 512mb of ram.  If your new laptop is going to be vista then you want at least 1 gig of ram because it is a ram hungry OS and with vista you would want a better video card.  The 5700go would be the lowest of the low that i would try to run it on.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 04:19:45 PM »
    Check out some benchmark scores frome a 1.6G dual to a 1.8G dual..........is it that much that you really NEED the 1.8 ? ?

Need is budget driven...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "