Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphics and/or sound driver missing after cold restart  (Read 2068 times)

Sebastian

Graphics and/or sound driver missing after cold restart
« on: June 19, 2007, 01:39:56 PM »
Hi,

Just the other day I installed a Gigabyte Iram into my PC as my main disk, along with a SATA HDD to store the Documents and Settings folder.

I have successfully configured the computer to use this folder, installed all programs and copied files over and all seems fine.

However, when I start up the PC, about half the time the control panel and drivers fail to load for the sound and/or graphics card, reinstalling them causes the device to work on the next boot.

In device manager the relevant devices show as present with error code 39 - Device driver cannot load because it is corrupt or missing.

For the soundcard, when the PC is shut down a message box appears stating that the program is not responding displays with the EXE of the program that runs in the taskbar, with the option to End Now.

I have tried upgrading the sound and downgrading the graphics, and uninstalling and reinstalling the devices, no effect.

I cant think of anything else to try, to be honest this has me completely stumped.

Any ideas?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
My configuration is:

Gigabyte 8I945P-G-RH motherboard

3x HDD as follows
C : Gigabyte Iram - Windows install and Program Files
D : SATA HDD - Documents and Settings and Program Files
E : SATA HDD - Storage only

Graphics card:
1x PCI-E GeForce 6500 (512m)
1x PCI GeForce FX 5200 (128m)

Sound:
Onboard Realtek Hi-Def audio

3.0Ghz Pentium 4 HT
1GB DDR2
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 01:56:35 PM by Sebastian »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Graphics and/or sound driver missing after cold restart
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 02:45:38 PM »
How many and what type of sticks are in the Gigabyte IRam  ? ?

Did you happen to run MemTest on them one at atime before installing ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "