Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Looking for a decent free e-mail client...  (Read 5427 times)

The Saviour

Looking for a decent free e-mail client...
« on: June 28, 2007, 07:59:49 AM »
I'm looking for a decent free e-mail client, other than web mail apps, that allows you to view and delete email from the server...before it reaches the client.

I've used clients like Outlook, Outlook Express, etc...but the only one I've found that lets you do this is IncrediMail...and its a pain in the neck.  I paid for it, so I don't have all the advertisements I had when it was free...it's okay...I've used it for a while...I'm just ready to make a change...I get bored easy.

So...if anyone has any recommendations, just get back to me.  I'd love to hear them and your experience with them.

Thanks in advance...

-Steve

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: Looking for a decent free e-mail client...
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 08:03:04 AM »
    thunderbird.. there are a couple ones linux use that you might be able to use like evolution( i believe) and can't remeber the other one.

The Saviour

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:11:53 AM »
    Well...

I just downloaded Thunderbird...I'll give it a try.  I'll let you know if it's what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the quick reply...

TehGerg

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 08:27:38 AM »
    Yah my vote goes to thunderbird also.

The Saviour

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 09:01:46 AM »
    Just downlaoded and installed...seems to be working like a charm.  It'll take a little getting used to, but it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Ya know...this program has been recommended to me in the past by WillyW and several other members...I just forgot all about it and went on my merry way.

I'm glad I took the jump...nice program..."Thanks"...to all.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 09:37:47 AM »
    I know I'm late, but Thunderbird would have been my first and only recommendation as well.
    It's the only email client I've used, other than web-based access, and I think it's great.
    Glad you like it.

TehGerg

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 09:41:24 AM »
    I have been using Outlook since i formatted last maybe its time to switch again :)

The Saviour

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 09:53:56 AM »
    The only thing I haven't liked about it...so far...is that it didn't minimize to the system tray...not to worry, though...I found the extension and installed the "add-on".  Works like a charm.

Like I said...it'll take some getting used to, but so far...I like it.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 10:05:36 AM »
    Have you been able to verify already that it allows you to view and delete email from the server...before it reaches the client?  I'm curious how an email client that downloads email to a computer can do that?

What's the underlying concern here?  Are you trying to deal with spam? 

The Saviour

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 10:52:39 AM »
    soybean...

BINGO!

Spam is definitely a concern...because of what I do...not for the forum...but for my computer repair business.  I have an email for links, for the webmaster, for myself, for info and for services...not to mention personal email from my ISP.

Thunderbird has a decent junk filter and learner.  I'm just getting used to learning the application myself.

Actually...IncrediMail had an Advanced feature that let me look at the email on the server before downloading it.  I could also setup IncrediMail with Message Rules that would allow me to add certain rules to delete this spam from the server before it even reached my computer.

Right now...I don't see that feature in Thunderbirs...unless I'm missing something.  T'bird is quite new to me...I'm still learning its ins and outs.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 11:35:53 AM »
    I use OE for most of my email and Outlook for one account.  My ISP is Earthlink.  I can access my mail via web browser and set spam controls that are very effective in restricting spam from being downloaded to my computer.  Basically, Earthink provides an online address book.  If a sender's address is not in that address book, it is blocked from being downloaded.  So, for personal mail via your ISP, you might take a look to make sure whether you may have some spam control options that you're not aware of now.

I also have a website and have a huge spam flow there.  You can access a control panel, or "cPanel", for your web hosting account, right?  Do you use it to access your mail via web browser?  Do you have mail tools such as Squirrel or Horde, via your cPanel?  If you haven't used them, take a look.  You should find filter capabilities which may help sorting out the wheat from the chaff. 

The Saviour

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 11:55:40 AM »
    Thanks, soybean...

Yes...I've tried the filters and spam controls within the cpanel of my host.

The problem is that even if you use Suirrel Mail or Horde...even though it does filter out the spam...along with other options on their server like Spam Assassin or another program that verifies whether or not your human or not...I forget the name of it.

Anyhow...I'm not a big fan of web mail...
    No matter what filters you use, the mail still remains on the server until you delete it.  Like I said before...IncrediMail let you set up filter options that allowed you to block any email with certain characteristics, before it got to your client and subsequently delete them from the server.  You could also use IncrediMail to view all mail on the server using its "Advanced" feature...from there, you could decide which email to allow through and delete those you don't.  This feature, alone, is what sold me on IncrediMail, however, the other bells and whistles are totally useless...unless your one of those who like to "dress up" an email you send out with sound and images.  The only problem with that is...noone can actually see the images, etc...unless they, too, are using IncrediMail.  The person not having that particular program would only see attachments...basically, making the "bells and whistles' of IncrediMail useless.

I guess I'll just have to fool around...to see what i can find.