Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Spell check help?  (Read 3041 times)

smilezlie

Spell check help?
« on: July 01, 2007, 06:29:58 PM »
Does anyone know how to set up automatic spell check on my computer? I had managed to set it up before without installing any additional software and it seems to have disappeared. I know firefox has a built in checker however I had my computer set up to check aim, notepad, email, etc as well. Basically the spell checker checked everything I typed in my computer.

Does anyone know how to get this back? I have no idea how I did it originally and I have no idea how I turned that function off.

My computer:

Dell Inspiron 51505 laptop
Intel Core Duo
Windows XP
DSL connection

I can provide any other information if it means I can get this spell check thing fixed. It is really helpful in my line of work.

Thanks!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Spell check help?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 01:44:25 PM »
Well, if you had spell check in Notepad, then you must have installed some third-party spell check software.  Spell check in Outlook Express is normally obtained as a result of having MS Office installed or the MS Works Suite, which includes Word; in other words, spell check in Outlook Express comes from Word being installed.  Do you have MS Office or Works Suite installed? 

Again, to get spell check in AIM, Notepad, and basically any application in which you type text, you must have installed some third-party spell check software.  I don't know how someone can not know what they had installed to give them this functionality.  Anyway, if you don't have a CD or downloaded file from which to reinstall that third-party spell check software, you'll have to acquire it.  I see no other conclusion to be drawn here.