Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop dial up through mobile phone  (Read 3326 times)

orgasmatron

Laptop dial up through mobile phone
« on: November 09, 2004, 04:05:49 AM »
Hey, can anyone help. I need to configure a dell laptop (inspiron 9100) running XP home to dial up through a mobile phone. (Nokia) I have never done this and was looking for a few pointers. Any help appreciated.
Cheers

merlin_2

Re: Laptop dial up through mobile phone
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 06:51:20 AM »
you need a cable to connect you moby to your laptop....and software >http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/10/19/10-19-95.shtml     its  abit expensive this project...have you thought of  adding a wireless card..there is a program embeded in windows called phone dialer...maybe you could use that ...with the cable connected to your laptop..

MalikTous

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 05:39:14 PM »
There should be a serial RS232 port or USB cable available for your cellphone that will make it recognise as a network device, and you use that to define it as a dialup account. I've seen a few of these and the speeds were atrocious, around 14.4k to 19.2k bits like old fossil modems. (All these were on RS232 serial ports, a USB version may work better.) Use the AC adaptor (laptop and phone) when connecting by cell phone, the range and speed may be a little better.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 01:11:24 AM »
Could I connect my cellphone (Nokia 3210) to my PDA (Mars) with 28.8K modem?

MalikTous

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 02:09:05 PM »
You would have to have a port cable (the PDA would have to support USB or RS232 or ADB) between the PDA and the cell phone. The digital cell phone would do the signal conversion. Check with both the PDA maker and the cell phone maker...

cjkgmgod

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 05:55:56 PM »
Which mobil service do you have? Verizon offers a mobil office kit for cel-to-lap connection. Runs around $35 and uses your minutes. Also has other plans for faster speeds.