Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing an SATA drive in an IDE motherboard  (Read 3201 times)

Lord Burn

Installing an SATA drive in an IDE motherboard
« on: July 11, 2007, 08:16:23 PM »
Ok.  I've got a Compaq Deskpro with a Pentium III and I don't remember how much RAM.  It had a Seagate U8 IDE HDD in itthat had 6Gb in it and ran Windows 98 SP1 or older.

My main computer now is an Acer laptop with XP Home.  I connect to the Internet with a Lynksys Wi-Fi router.

My initial problem was this:  Windows 98 SP1 or older does not support Wi-Fi.  So, I cannot download SP2 from Microsoft (do they even have it there anymore?  If they do, could someone provide a link?) because my Router is in another part of the house.

So I got the bright idea to buy a new HDD and install XP Pro (aquiried through MSDNAA) on it.  Well, I didn't even know that a new HDD setup had been made.

I bought a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 with 160Gb on it.  Lo and behold, the plugs weren't the same.  :'( 

Now I did try to amend this by buying a "IDE to SATA Adapter" from a CompUSA that was shutting down.  I installed that and hooked up my new HDD to it.

The problem now is I'm getting an error #1782 "Disk Controller Failure"  "No fixed disc present."

So my question is:  Why isn't this working?  Did I miss something?

Here are some pictures if they are any help:
This one is of my error.

This is of the IDE to SATA adapter I bought.  If you want a better look at it, I can scan the box if you like.

Thanks in advance,
LB

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Installing an SATA drive in an IDE motherboard
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 03:17:03 AM »
I'm not familiar with the Compaq bios but is there a sata setting in Advanced Bios Settings?
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
    « Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 08:18:39 AM »
    I am sorry but there is no such thing as WINDOWS 98 sp1 or sp2 or anything like it, there are 25 varieties of windows 98 none are now supported by microsoft or anyone else. There are no SATA drivers that can work with windows 98 or 98se,

Effective June 30, 2006, support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second
    Edition and Windows Me (and their related components) will end. After
    this date, incident support, security updates and Custom Support
    Agreement will no longer be available to the public.

some help and maybe other downloads can be had from here:-
    http://murfsgarage.cybertechhelp.com/index.htm
    this message was from July 2003:- Murf said...Working on having all the "98" updates available on "Murf's Garage" hope to have up in a couple of weeks if not sooner.

several parts of the site are under construction so don't hold your breath
    i suggest you update to xp or linux ubuntu fiesty
    Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 08:50:21 AM »
    That Lynksys router also has ports on back for connecting computers by cable, right? 

Regarding the SATA hard drive, I believe you'd have better luck with a SATA controller card than that adapter.

Edit (7/12/07): link fixed.   :-[

Second Edit (7/13/07): to add the phrase, SATA controller card
    « Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 08:24:17 AM by soybean »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 04:29:57 PM »
    Here

Soybean your link was blank... :o
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lord Burn

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 12:46:22 AM »
    I think I should rephrase this.

If I can get the SATA HDD to work I'm installing XP Pro on it.  Though the computer does have to recognize that the HDD is hooked up to install XP.

If there is no way to hook up my SATA HDD to my old computer I'm putting the original HDD back in it and I'll try to find Win 98 "SP2" (what they Belkin Wi-Fi reciver told me I needed) so that way it can actually connect to the Internet.

So, if you need any more info, I'll give it to you the best I can.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 08:28:25 AM »
    Did you read this:
    Regarding the SATA hard drive, I believe you'd have better luck with a SATA controller card than that adapter.

And, as uesquebeathus said, there is no SP2 for Windows 98.

You never answered this:
    That Lynksys router also has ports on back for connecting computers by cable, right? 

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 07:37:14 PM »
      If I can get the SATA HDD to work I'm installing XP Pro on it.  Though the computer does have to recognize that the HDD is hooked up to install XP.

I've used those little SATA to IDE adapters before and never had any luck.  A controller card would definately be a better choice.  With any luck, you won't need any drivers to install XP onto the SATA drive connected to a controller card.  If you do, when the XP installation first gets to the blue screen, across the bottom it'll say something like "Press F3 if you need to install third party drivers..."  You may be able to load the necessary drivers from there.  Again though, you probably won't need to install any drivers.

If there is no way to hook up my SATA HDD to my old computer I'm putting the original HDD back in it and I'll try to find Win 98 "SP2" (what they Belkin Wi-Fi reciver told me I needed) so that way it can actually connect to the Internet.

So, if you need any more info, I'll give it to you the best I can.

There was never a Windows 98 SP2.  There is a Windows 98 Second Edition, and a Windows XP SP2.  Either you've misread it, or there's a typo in the manual (which isn't that uncommon.)

Lord Burn

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 03:59:06 AM »
      Quote from: soybean
      Yes.  The problem is the router is on the other side of the house.  Computer can't get to the router and there is no coaxial cable in my office.  I also can't run a cable that for nor have the desire to crawl through my roof.  Its got spray in insulation and is about 2' high.

Quote from: Anodoin
      There was never a Windows 98 SP2.  There is a Windows 98 Second Edition, and a Windows XP SP2.  Either you've misread it, or there's a typo in the manual (which isn't that uncommon.)
      Ah, I ment Second Edition.  Sorry, my bad. 

Quote from: Anodoin
      I've used those little SATA to IDE adapters before and never had any luck.  A controller card would definately be a better choice.  With any luck, you won't need any drivers to install XP onto the SATA drive connected to a controller card.  If you do, when the XP installation first gets to the blue screen, across the bottom it'll say something like "Press F3 if you need to install third party drivers..."  You may be able to load the necessary drivers from there.  Again though, you probably won't need to install any drivers.
      *sighs* I hate buying stuff twice, but I guess I have no choice.

That sucker may actually fit though and let me close my case.